Bad Day

Options
Today I feel emotionally drained. Yesterday started with my 83 year old father falling trying to bring the groceries in from the porch. I wasn’t around and my mom has to call the EMT to get him up in the house. Next mom my is at the urgent clinic for a uti that isn’t clearing up. She’s running a fever. Only has one kidney so it’s especially scary. Later on when I come back to the house she vomits all over herself. After I leave my dad calls concerned her blood sugar is high and she can’t get it down. Around 10 a call is made to 911 and she’s in the hospital. Fortunately she’s home and ok. But I’m so drained emotionally all I want to do is binge. I have nobody to talk to. My one friend only makes me feel worse when I talk to her. Everything is about her. I’m working remote since March so I don’t even have my coworkers to talk to. I have so much cleaning to do and I haven’t been to the grocery store in 2 weeks but I can’t leave the house. Honestly I don’t know if I can go back to my parents today. I just want to lay on the couch and cry. I feel like a horrible person. I’m sure nobody will read this but I feel better now ☺️

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    We're reading and we care.

That sounds like a charged day. Your parents are blessed to have you. And for you to continue being there for them you'll need to continue taking care of yourself.

Sending you hugs across and prayers up!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're going through this! 💕
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    So sorry you're going through this! 💕
    thanks happy to be seen

• Doresoontobehealthy
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

That sounds like a charged day. Your parents are blessed to have you. And for you to continue being there for them you'll need to continue taking care of yourself.

Thank you that means a lot 🥰
  • Jackiefrost1013
    Jackiefrost1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So sorry you have to go through such an exhausting time. Not sure where you live but can you take advantage of an online shopping store? I’m in Ky and we have 𝐊𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐫 which has click list. You can go online select what you need, a worker will gather your groceries, you pick a time to pick them up, and they bring them out to you. Maybe even have someone come clean your house for you. You seem so overwhelmed and like you need a break and a good bubble bath and a good glass of wine! I hope things get better for you dear💜💜. And yes we are listening 🥰
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Hairy past few days here, too, but at least I have a husband to take it out on, I mean talk to. Poor guy.

I sincerely hope you have someone you can let go to, if not, post here. You’ve got friends.

I’ve been sucking down “security lattes” since 5 am, since finding an overnight text from a caregiver.

I’ve been on this merry go round for so long, I’m (almost) past the futile exercise - and it is futile- of stuffing my face in frustration. You just go numb after while.

So so sorry you are feeling this way. I hope yours both improve and you get some breathing room. There’s no shame in taking the phone off the hook (or the modern equivalent) and putting your head down for a couple of hours.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    If I had the same day as you, I would have cried and binged. God I think id NEED to! And if you did, there would be zero judgement here!

It is totally okay to feel completely overwhelmed by a day like that!
    Don't feel bad if you decide not to go back there today, to me it sounds like you need the rest!
    Its not wrong to look after yourself aswell!

You might feel better if you get your own stuff sorted first, get out the house for some fresh air, get some groceries, clean up the house. (Oh wait, you said you cant go out? Is that because of covid?)

Clear space and clear mind and all that!

I'm so sorry it was a rubbish day though!
    Hope you're feeling better now x
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Options
    So sorry you have to go through such an exhausting time. Not sure where you live but can you take advantage of an online shopping store? I’m in Ky and we have 𝐊𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐞𝐫 which has click list. You can go online select what you need, a worker will gather your groceries, you pick a time to pick them up, and they bring them out to you. Maybe even have someone come clean your house for you. You seem so overwhelmed and like you need a break and a good bubble bath and a good glass of wine! I hope things get better for you dear💜💜. And yes we are listening 🥰

I live in Kentucky too. Where are you? I’m in Florence. I was going to do clicklist but there weren’t any openings at my store. I’ll probably run over in a little bit
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    BTW you are not a horrible person. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I suspect you have a family of guilt purveyors. Do not let any one else make you feel that you are horrible. If they do, they’ve crossed a boundary, and that belief is one them. I know it hurts.

If you’re the one putting it on yourself, only you can relieve yourself of that burden. Lord knows it’s hard, but a “horrible person” wouldn’t feel so concerned. You have do not have the gift to relieve age or suffering. So give yourself some grace.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Totally been there 4 years ago. It's tough when we become the caretakers of our parents....well when the roles reverse basically.

Can you get some help for your parents? So that helper can maybe take some pressure off of you?

This too shall pass. It doesn't feel like it I'm sure but it will. Just keep breathing and treading water. You'll get there
  • Jackiefrost1013
    Jackiefrost1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I’m in Louisville! Small world. I’m definitely sending you a FR. I hope your day has got a little better!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I don't say this to invalidate your feelings, but you are very evidently and extremely *not* a horrible person.

I'm now past that caregiving phase (parents, spouse deceased; no kids), but I can empathize with that feeling. Sometimes what is needed by those we care for seems like so much, that there's no way to deliver in the profound ways that we'd really like to. It isn't humanly possible, but we still want to be able to do it, because we love them (despite any frustrations and complications they may bring us).

You are doing wonderfully. You're doing everything a human could do. I feel certain you will do the things that truly need to be done.

But it's OK to lay on the couch and cry, for a bit, if that seems like a good vent. Not permanently, obviously. I hope you'll be able, or have been able, to find some outlet that works for you, short of eating food you don't *really* want. (I understand the impulse.) But if that happens at some point, it's OK. Just get back on track when you can. There are only so many balls we can juggle at once, and anything that drops can just be picked up as soon as we can grab it. In the long term, in the big picture, it'll be fine.

Wishing you some calmer waters ahead. ((hugs))

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    When it rains, it pours sometimes with starting to care for elderly parents. You got the double whammy today. Anyone who has ever had to care for parents has been there, trust me! I know I have. Not only the physical act of caring, but the emotions involved with seeing your parents not as strong and independent as they used to be. The role reversal is tough to watch and be part of. Same thing for them!!!!!!

Totally normal to feel overwhelmed and need some kind of comfort. You’re not a bad person for having some burnout. Hopefully a good night sleep and maybe a small tidying session before you leave for the day will help. Best of luck to you and your family!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @Doresoontobehealthy, how did the rest of yesterday go, and how are you doing today?