I’m gaining weight

I turn 40 next week. I surf, play tennis, do calisthenics and use home gym equipment for abs/arms/shoulders/chest/back exercises. I workout 3-5 times a week and surf and play tennis 3 times a week. I intermittent fast and drink lots of water like a gallon plus a day. A year ago I was 154. I’m 6’1” and that was a good weight. Recently my weight started increasing and I’m 174 today and it scared me. I don’t know why. My only idea is that two months ago I got diagnosed with de quervains tenosynovitis and had to stop everything. Then I got a cortisone shot July 2 and picked up my training again the next week. So my diet remained the same when I stopped exercising because of my right wrist issue. My thinking is that I maybe ate like I was still working out so I gained a few pounds then when I started working out again I have gained more muscle and maybe I’m bulking up. The issue is I want to get back to the 160 range but don’t wanna lose stamina on the muscles I’ve been rebuilding. This new weight freaked me out and I feel like starving myself while still exercising. Yesterday I did abs and arms, played tennis, hiked and surfed. I eat around 1700 calories a day and am trying to not eat my last meal at night. Any ideas? My stomach also feels a little bloated and I feel my abs workouts are pushing my stomach out a little. Any advice is appreciated. Oh I’m a guy too. I have a 6 pack still at least.

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    Did the doctor not advise you to lay off the tennis for a bit? Your condition is caused by “Jobs or hobbies that involve repetitive hand and wrist motions”. Tennis definitely qualifies. Secondly, being a tall active male, eating only 1700 cals per day, you will DEFINITELY lose stamina and muscles. So that’s not the way. It took you a year to pack on the 20 pounds, so why shouldn't it take a few months to take them off safely. So enter your info into the setup screen, pick a reasonable calorie deficit, and do it the healthy way. Good luck on your journey.
  • darinr80
    darinr80 Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you. I didn’t realize that the shot would make me retain water weight!

Also after the shot and before I stopped all activity to play it safe. I also did physical therapy and was told I could get back to it all. Tennis may be part of it but the calisthenics training I do is intense on the wrists. It seems to be fine now. Here’s an example of what I ate today. wy7352s4h552.png
    f96mkxn17kpn.png
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Set your protein ratio to 40 to 50% while gradually reducing your sugars.

Don’t have too many carbs before bed or in the evening.

Stop intermittent fasting for now and spread out your nutrients over the day rather than starving throughout the day.
    1700 calories is for cutting and you will begin to lose weight, both fat and muscle.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @HeidiCooksSupper is right on! Don't over-react, just adjust a bit. You've gained pretty fast (20lbs in 52 weeks), but you could lose even faster, if you like (20lbs in 20 weeks). Type your stats into MFP. Set for 1lb/week loss. Log your foods and your exercise. Keep the deficit at -500kcals/day on average. And off it will come.

As for your tendonitis: You need to roll with problems like that. I'm still running, cycling, swimming, hiking, etc. at 59yrs and I have (among other things) arthritis in both big toes. Sometimes you need to do something different while a part of your body recovers. (Swimming is a great thing to have in the mix.) Ice and ibuprofen are your best friends!

Best of luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    Higher protein a bit while healing.

No ratio; but about .8g per lb of lean mass, often simplified to 1g or lb of weight.

Deficit eating doesn't speed healing.

If steroids are making you hungrier and you exercise less, sure, it could be an increase in fat weight. Yet you still have a six pack which does confirm you're still lean.

If the increase is water retention then a few weeks or months after you stop the medication the water weight will go away. Do discuss side effects with your doctor and pharmacist.