Yogurt, we need to break up

Options
alexmose
alexmose Posts: 792 Member
I’ll say it first: I love you, greek yogurt. But we need to break up.

I look forward to you nightly, adding sea salt and blending you with frozen banana and sugar free chocolate jello. You really are like ice cream to me. But we need to part ways.

I’ve taken the dairy pills. I wash my face constantly. But you still cause me acne. Cystic acne.

How could you?!? I thought we were in this together.

I will look for another, high-protein nightly dessert. But i will always think of you. I love you. But we need to break up.

Anyone got any good high-protein, dairy free desserts?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with plant-based protein powder and I add flax meal and nuts. They're really good. I just had one, frozen mango, strawberry, banana, avocado, flax meal, protein powder, walnuts, almonds, some ice and a little water. Delicious. I've thought about freezing one to see how that works, but I can never wait that long. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    You could put a scoop of Cool Whip on it, and some sprinkles and it would be a fancy dessert.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Can you use soy yogurt instead?
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using raw dairy? It doesn't cause me cystic acne like regular dairy (and gluten) do.
  • alexmose
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Can you use soy yogurt instead?

I have tried and the texture is....not great
  • alexmose
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    Have you tried using raw dairy? It doesn't cause me cystic acne like regular dairy (and gluten) do.

how can i tell the difference in the store?
  • alexmose
    Options
    I make smoothies with plant-based protein powder and I add flax meal and nuts. They're really good. I just had one, frozen mango, strawberry, banana, avocado, flax meal, protein powder, walnuts, almonds, some ice and a little water. Delicious. I've thought about freezing one to see how that works, but I can never wait that long. :)

i will look into the protein powder!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. Think Sade here. Dairy. It's never as good as the first time and there is no substitute for dairy.

So we rely on the past
    And special moments that last
    Were they as tender
    As we dare to remember
    Such a fine time as this
    What could equal the bliss
    The thrill of the first dairy and greek yogurt kiss
    It'll blow right to you

It's never as good as the first time
    Never as good as the first time (never as good as the first time)

I can't begin to prognosticate if you'll always have to go without dairy but for the foreseeable future it would seem so. There's only choices and consequences. You choose.

• whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    whoami67 wrote: »

how can i tell the difference in the store?

It is sold in stores in only some states. It's easier to find at farmer's markets and in some countries outside the U.S. If your state has it in stores, it'll be well-marked and will cost more.

Sold in stores in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Idaho, Maine, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, S. Carolina, Utah, Vermont, and Washington. You can get raw goat milk in stores in Oregon, but not cow's milk.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Kefir makes terrific pudding. It’s got a different set of probiotics in it and is tolerated by people with lactose intolerance. It’s also dirt cheap to make if you make your own.
  • alexmose
    Options
    Kefir makes terrific pudding. It’s got a different set of probiotics in it and is tolerated by people with lactose intolerance. It’s also dirt cheap to make if you make your own.

I will look into this!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Kite Hill Plant based Greek yogurt is good! Very creamy. I use lots of protein powder and tofu
    I will add unsweetened cocoa powder and Truvia. Its so satisfying!
  • alexmose
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Kite Hill Plant based Greek yogurt is good! Very creamy. I use lots of protein powder and tofu

Aha i did see that one as a suggestion. sounds like it'll be good w some flavored protein powder
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Aha i did see that one as a suggestion. sounds like it'll be good w some flavored protein powder

Absolutely :)
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Is it dumb to ask whether lactose-free yogurts cause you a problem as well?

For example, skyr (Icelandic yogurt) is just as thick as Greek - if not thicker - but without the lactose.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find coconut yoghurt much better in taste and texture than soy, might be worth a go.
  • alexmose
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Is it dumb to ask whether lactose-free yogurts cause you a problem as well?

For example, skyr (Icelandic yogurt) is just as thick as Greek - if not thicker - but without the lactose.

Hmm I’ll give it a whirl!