Favorite meat?

daniel9797
daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
I'm getting bored of pork, chicken, and shrimp. What is your favorite meat to use? What recipe? Thanks!

Replies

• creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    Those are the ones I usually work with too, but I also sometimes use ground turkey and chicken sausage. This week I've got a Cajun cauliflower rice recipe from Pinterest that I'm going to try that uses chicken andouille sausage in it 👍 Pinterest is where I find a lot of recipes
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Venison when I can trick encourage a friend into sharing after a hunt. Otherwise, salmon and some white-fleshed fish (think cod, sole, etc).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    My newest discovery is Basque style steaks. These are retired dairy cows that have been put to pasture for a year or two to fatten up and chilll out after menopause and are 9 to 16 years old. The meat is very well marbled, and has a stronger gamier flavour than typical beef cattle slaughtered at an adolscent 28 months. Actually a little like venison. I like the fact that it is a more sustainable way to eat steak.

My first order of Basque beef pictured here are a bone in ribeye and some rump. You can see the beautiful marbling. At a dinner party on the weekend one of the guests wanted her steak well done and I tried a slice of her well done rump and was surprised it was still tender, probably due to the marbling.

I have since discovered that there are UK suppliers of retired dairy prime beef who do mail order, which is half the price of the Basque import.

m7hplhpgxxax.jpeg
    ydpf7gcfd42r.jpeg
  • njuliac360
    njuliac360 Posts: 2 Member
    Charizo is great if you're eating high fat and like spicy food.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Gold Wagyu beef strip steaks, mmmm!
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs are flavorful and a nice change from chicken breast.
    For salmon: corn grits with salmon (freshly grilled or just from a ready to eat salmon pouch) and bbq sauce. Top with some chopped green onions.
    Chorizo is great with eggs and cheese as a breakfast burrito.
    Ground turkey makes some excellent meatballs.
    Shepherd’s pie: half ground beef, half ground lamb (cooked), cream of mushroom soup, canned green beans, top it with mashed potatoes. Brush the top with an egg white & milk wash, sprinkle liberally with black pepper & garlic powder.

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited August 2020
    Chicken thigh, it's not as dry (ok, it's also not as lean) as chicken breast, but I like the flavour more, depending on how I'm preparing it - typically we put it on a grill or I roast it in the oven with some nice garlic and rosemary potatoes and brussels sprouts. Also, turkey - I'll sometimes get it ground and make meat sauces out of it.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    When I used to eat meat it was probably Salmon or Trout.