Dinner and Vegetable Help

Options
I have meniscus tears in both my knees (long story) so I am not very mobile and can’t stand for more than a few minutes. I’ve been living off of drive thru food and delivery but it’s getting expensive. I need an easy way to get my vegetables in. Was thinking maybe I should start doing vegetable smoothies every day or maybe even V8.

Anyone have any super easy dinner ideas or vegetable ideas that don’t require much prep work? I like the idea of the dinner boxes like Home Chef but they just require too much prep work for me right now. I live by myself so I don’t have someone to help me every day. Thanks.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hubby and I are mobility impaired and rely on instacart for grocery shopping. See if you can get groceries delivered. And, yes, the steam-in-bag veggies are wonderful. There are national brands like BirdsEye Steam Fresh but even cheaper is the Steamin' Easy brand that many grocery chains sell under their own labels. Also, things like frozen grilled chicken strips just need a minute in the microwave for a healthy protein.

Best wishes with your meniscuses. I've torn mine and had surgery on one back when they did surgery on them. Now they recommend physical therapy instead and mine are fine right now after some rounds of PT.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are mobility impaired and rely on instacart for grocery shopping. See if you can get groceries delivered. And, yes, the steam-in-bag veggies are wonderful. There are national brands like BirdsEye Steam Fresh but even cheaper is the Steamin' Easy brand that many grocery chains sell under their own labels. Also, things like frozen grilled chicken strips just need a minute in the microwave for a healthy protein.

Best wishes with your meniscuses. I've torn mine and had surgery on one back when they did surgery on them. Now they recommend physical therapy instead and mine are fine right now after some rounds of PT.

Thanks. Yes, they won’t do surgery, just PT but it’s painful! Some days I can barely walk which makes all the food delivery appealing but it’s tempting to order unhealthy food and it’s really expensive with delivery fees and tips. The steamfresh bags are a good idea. I’ll have to look for the chicken.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Those "steam-in-bag" vegetables are very handy -- I've seen fresh ones in the produce section, as well as frozen ones (and some of the frozen ones also contain a sauce, if you're into that). All you need is a microwave!

I love to do roasted vegetables -- they can be very easy. Things like pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower, green beans, and baby carrots require little prep work. Simply put them in the oven, give them some time, and boom (I usually just add salt, but you can do a bit of olive oil and whatever seasonings you like). I have roasted vegetables, in some form, most nights of the week. If they're pre-washed and cut, the oven does all the work while you get on with the rest of your business!

You've mentioned vegetable juices and smoothies, both of which are also ways to get vegetables. I personally prefer to chew my vegetables, but you'll get the nutrients blending them too.

You can buy pre cut broccoli!? I’ll have to look for it!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Cut vegetables at the kitchen table just be careful. Use kitchen shears when possible. If you have an air fryer place it lower to the ground like on a step stool or something so you can operate it from your chair. It will be much easier to roast things in it than using an oven.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm not very mobile, use a wheelchair. (I do have help).

If you can get food delivery.

I find salads quick and easy. Small amount of prep time and no cooking needed. Can even get pre washed salads. (They are a little more expensive, probably still cheaper than take away). Lots of volume, can be lower in calories & good nutrition.

I love salads and really enjoy a cold meal in this hot weather. Adding an easy protein, like pre cooked chicken, boiled eggs, cheeses or tinned fish. Or avocado & salad dressing, for fats. To balance macros too.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have meniscus tears in both my knees (long story) so I am not very mobile and can’t stand for more than a few minutes. I’ve been living off of drive thru food and delivery but it’s getting expensive. I need an easy way to get my vegetables in. Was thinking maybe I should start doing vegetable smoothies every day or maybe even V8.

Anyone have any super easy dinner ideas or vegetable ideas that don’t require much prep work? I like the idea of the dinner boxes like Home Chef but they just require too much prep work for me right now. I live by myself so I don’t have someone to help me every day. Thanks.

Sure, you could make a complete meal very quickly with V8, protein powder, and something for fat.

Or blend something like Super Greens (or your favorite veggies that don't require any/much prep) with protein powder and something for fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Cut vegetables at the kitchen table just be careful. Use kitchen shears when possible. If you have an air fryer place it lower to the ground like on a step stool or something so you can operate it from your chair. It will be much easier to roast things in it than using an oven.

Yes, I've seen post-operation patients on "My 600 Pound Life" cook from a sitting position as they regain their mobility.