Makeup Help

Options
2»

Replies

• rickifaidley
    rickifaidley Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you’re on the older side I would recommend a light weight tinted moisturizer instead of full coverage foundation. If you’re older and with some wrinkles the foundation will set into the wrinkles and make them more profound. Hope this helps!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    This is all just truly fascinating.

I can’t wait for a minute to sit down and start researching some of these tips and looking at the videos.

But first, off to the gym! 😂
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @springlering62

Don't go lighter with your makeup or hair. That's a myth. Choose the colors that match your skin tone perfectly right now. Don't dye your hair blond or go way lighter with your hair. It is a myth that any of that makes you look 'younger'. It actually creates the opposite effect. Don't stray too far from any of your natural coloring and tones. Subtle is always better than doing a complete 180. Stark contrast at the hairline or with your skin tone.
    Rule of thumb, if you have to put on more makeup to make your look work you've gone way too far.
  • Diatonic12
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I get that. Color and contrast are good.

Makeup face mask or no makeup face mask. You choose. Sometimes, I need warpaint. ;)

6594817892ca9893be5f36b9cfd5e376.jpg
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Please please please post pics as you decide! I have never been one for makeup, I wore it sparingly the two years I was in the workforce (had children young, didn’t make enough to justify contnuing to work, 13 years later we’re a homeschool family :lol: )... I always hated the feel, but totally forgot about mineral powders, I used to have some years ago. I remember showing up for my bridal portraits barefaced (totally didn’t even cross my mind, nor did I do anything with my nails, obviously I failed at this avenue in life so no advice coming from me!). Recently I have looked in the mirror and started contemplating a little update for myself... might have to check out a few videos mentioned on this thread.

My cousin is a makeup girl - she can get quite creative with it, but does so in beautiful ways. I would love for her to do a full face on me, just to see what I would look like. She’s out of state though...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    Wait. Is that a dove with jay feathers and gorgeous colors‘shopped in, or is that a real bird ? I like his style.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    HotandFlashy.com is an excellent website and also a YouTube channel for women over 50. Angie is straight to the point and very real. She posts two videos per week and I look forward to them. I cannot recommend her enough!

Another vote for HotandFlashy. I ended up watching quite a few of her YouTube videos because she does sunscreen reviews, and sunscreen is generally all I put on my skin (plus a few strategic dabs of concealer). A lot of facial sunscreens these days are tinted and mimic foundation but they do tend to have a heavier formula that settles into wrinkles and exacerbates them. Sigh. However, at 56 I'm not going to fool anyone into thinking I'm young, and I'm more concerned about avoiding sun damage.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    I wear very little make up - i've worn none over lockdown! I really like mineral powder (which is vegan and chemical nasty free!) and actually I've found that it's really been quite kind to my skin - as opposed to heavier foundations I used to wear. The downside is that it doesn't contain any sunscreen in so I have to apply that separately.

I'd love to learn how to do decent eyeliner. I've started filling in my eyebrows but my husband doesn't like it really. He's not that used to me wearing make up!

Will be watching this for tips :)

You can get some mineral powder foundations which contain SPF. Avon's do and I think Baremineral's too.

You’re always better off using an actual sunscreen under makeup. Most people don’t apply enough of a layer to get the full spf value from thei foundation.

Though that has been a good thing that came out of COVID for me—between the face-covering and my hat, haven’t needed much sunscreen. 😂
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I wear very little make up - i've worn none over lockdown! I really like mineral powder (which is vegan and chemical nasty free!) and actually I've found that it's really been quite kind to my skin - as opposed to heavier foundations I used to wear. The downside is that it doesn't contain any sunscreen in so I have to apply that separately.

I'd love to learn how to do decent eyeliner. I've started filling in my eyebrows but my husband doesn't like it really. He's not that used to me wearing make up!

I am laughing because I can relate. When I go out I get irritated because I have to put makeup on!! I've gotten so lazy!! :D

• Diatonic12
    Options
    Fruit Dove. Real.

1grwdtukbvid.png
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

You can get some mineral powder foundations which contain SPF. Avon's do and I think Baremineral's too.

You’re always better off using an actual sunscreen under makeup. Most people don’t apply enough of a layer to get the full spf value from thei foundation.

Though that has been a good thing that came out of COVID for me—between the face-covering and my hat, haven’t needed much sunscreen. 😂

Very good point re sunscreen. :+1:

I wonder if lipstick and lipgloss sales are going to fall now that our mouths are hidden? Every time I think about throwing on some lipgloss I remember the mask thing and don't bother.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Very good point re sunscreen. :+1:

I wonder if lipstick and lipgloss sales are going to fall now that our mouths are hidden? Every time I think about throwing on some lipgloss I remember the mask thing and don't bother.

I only wear make-up to the store but have stopped using lip products aside of shea butter. In general I barely wear make-up so I wouldn't be surprised if it's all down these days.

• Cammons1386
    Cammons1386 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally love makeup and spend way more than I should. My advice to you is first, determine what you want to achieve. Do you want to play up your eyes? Do you want to even out your skin tone? Enhance lips, etc. Next, think about what you are specifically asking and search for tutorials…there are tons out there. Have dry skin, but want to find a buildable foundation? There are a lots of review channels that will give you a great breakdown of different foundations. Want to play up mature, hooded eyes? Sugar Puff and Fluff is a channel that has a lot of really good 5-minute eye makeup look tutorials, but there are many more out there too.
    Just invest in colors that you know you’ll enjoy. The nice thing is drugstore makeup has come a long way and you can find some good quality stuff. If you do decide to go for the luxury brands, many companies have generous return policies if things don't work out with the product. Makeup should be fun, and the nice thing is if you mess up, it just washes off. Good luck!