weird (thank god its temporary) problem

Options
I have a monster ear infection- I mean MONSTER, inner ear and outer ear. It has gotten so bad that the side of my face is swollen too. I did go to the doctor and I am taking meds.

In the meanwhile, I cannot chew, it causes me horrible pain. I am having trouble reaching 1200 calories now because of it. I haven't been able to eat much except beans and yogurt, and who wants four bowls of beans and eight yogurts?

Any ideas on easy to eat stuff? and please don't tell me to puree in a blender, I cannot stand the thought of anything other than fruit like that

Will going below 1200 for just two or three days really hurt anything?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Do you like applesauce? I survived on that when I first got my braces. Cottage cheese might be good too. Since you can tolerate beans, ripe bananas, raspberries, and other soft fruit might be good too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, ice cream, etc
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    nope, going below 1200 for a few days won't hurt you. fruit smoothies and ice cream are my suggestions.
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a smoothie or a protein shake to add some calories :) feel better soon!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a monster ear infection- I mean MONSTER, inner ear and outer ear. It has gotten so bad that the side of my face is swollen too. I did go to the doctor and I am taking meds.

In the meanwhile, I cannot chew, it causes me horrible pain. I am having trouble reaching 1200 calories now because of it. I haven't been able to eat much except beans and yogurt, and who wants four bowls of beans and eight yogurts?

Any ideas on easy to eat stuff? and please don't tell me to puree in a blender, I cannot stand the thought of anything other than fruit like that

Will going below 1200 for just two or three days really hurt anything?

Most people don't eat that much when they're ill, I wouldn't stress out about it. Just eat what you can and keep hydrated. Keeping hydrated is the most important thing when you're ill.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth out I lived on soup, eggs, and ice cream for a few days.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Pudding; cook vegetables until they're soft; mashed potatoes (sweet potatoes if you think regular ones are teh debil); soups; peanut butter; etc. Lots of options!
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a smoothie or a protein shake to add some calories :) feel better soon!

This would be my idea, too. Protein shake blended and use a straw. No chewing involved! Plus you'll get nutrients as well. Should be good to go. Experiment with some new flavors, might as well! :)
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    thanks, lots of ideas I did not think of :)
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Can Green Beans (They tend to be pretty soft), peas, steamed veggies... Just try to think about foods you would feed to a toddler (Small, soft...). Good luck, I hope you recover fast.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, ice cream, etc

This.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I ate browned ground beef and mashed potatoes a lot when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Minimal chewing but filling
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh nos! I'm so sorry to hear about your MONSTER ear infection. It's crazy when something like this happens -- we think, "Who gets ear infections after the age of 6?!" I hope you heal quickly and splendidly, my dear!

In the meantime, I fully support protein shakes (chocolate protein powder + natural peanut butter + almond/soy/coconut/regular milk + ice = delicious peanut butter cup shake; vanilla protein powder + pumpkin puree + sweetener + pumpkin pie spice + milk + ice = autumn in a glass; frozen cherries + vanilla protein powder + almond extract + milk + ice = cherry almond vanilla; chocolate protein powder + peppermint extract + sweetener + milk + ice = Thin Mint; frozen assorted berries + vanilla extract + strawberry or vanilla protein powder + milk + ice = very berry). They're great as meal replacements!

Also: sugar-free Jell-O made with light coconut milk (delishush), mascarpone + Greek yoghurt + berry preserves or jam, cottage cheese, sugar-free pudding + peanut or almond butter, pureed soups (butternut squash? broccoli and cheddar? broccoli and leek? tomato bisque?).

I've been on a LOT of liquid / semi-solid food diets for medical reasons in my lifetime (sadly) and these are things I've enjoyed. Nothing beats good ol' lime Jell-O topped with whipped cream, of course! ; )

HEAL SOON!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Soup. With a base of good home made chicken stock for protein. Different kinds of soup. Good oatmeal porridge, preferably not quick or instant oats, but the substantial kind.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Soup!!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    protein powder, fruits blended?
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it. Its normal not to want to eat much when you are sick or in pain. A few days wont make a difference. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    EASY... LOL
    Frozen fruit and Peanut butter shakes... lol... add a little oatmeal and they are delicious! and healthy! here is my favorite recipe!

1 cup almond milk
    1 tablespoon peanut butter (you may want two)
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 to 1 cup frozen fruit of choice... I like blueberries
    1/2 banana (Don't add till the end of blend... it gets foamy like if blended long!) - I don't always add the banana!

Also I seen where some people add like bars .. I did add a chocolate chip granola bar... YUMMMY!!! It was good... that may help you get your calories... cause it really put the shake up there as far as calories! So I would not normally do this!

ENJOY!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When i had my jaw wired shut I literally lived on milkshakes, water, broth... It suuuucked
  • LisaBKail
    LisaBKail Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had sinus infection so bad my top gums were swelled so much they were touching. I lived on Milk shakes because that is all that I could eat. I can relate and I hope things get better soon.