I’m back again! Hope to make it work this time. Anyone doing extended fasting?

Options
Hello! This time I’m serious about losing 45 pounds. I’m using intermittent and some extended fasting, calorie counting along with low impact exercise.

About me. I’m 5’11” male, 215 pounds with a BMI of 30. Need to get down to 170 pounds or less to feel good again. I track my exercise using the Apple Watch. I’m also retired, so I have time to walk for hours on the treadmill everyday.

I look forward to losing pounds with you all. I also welcome new friends for anyone looking to share in the weight loss journey.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,829 Member
    Options
    Welcome back ... Wishing you much success .... You are welcome to add me :)
  • amandagarland06
    amandagarland06 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck im the same second time around I lost 2 stone with slimming world 4 years ago and the past 2 years it's slowly creeped back on with an added extra stone ,I blame the middle aged spread 😂🤣😂 IL almost lost the first stone so am working on the original 2 stone now.my goal is to get back to 10 stone again by next year 😁
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I wish you ever success
  • dianedemoss08
    dianedemoss08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! You got this:)
  • aksharma209
    aksharma209 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing Intermittent Fasting, has definitely helped. Good luck!
  • BadNew54u
    BadNew54u Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lengthy Keto refed fasts were my best friend for weight loss. I went from 247 down to 154, dropping about 90 pounds in 3 months doing 2-8 day fasting on snake diet (I even had a disaster week where I ate nothing but bad food and stacked back on 12 pounds).

It's not for everyone. You gotta drink basically what can only be described as salt water to keep yourself active/prevent headaches/prevent kidney&liver damage after the first few days of fasting (pure organic lemon juice is also your friend for liver/kidney protection). I don't know how Ghandi did 11 straight, I couldn't get past 8 days. Nowadays I just IF 16/8 and it helps keep me slim while I bulk with carbs.
  • aksharma209
    aksharma209 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    16/8 has also worked for me, sometimes I try and go 17/18 if I can. I’ve gone from 315ish to 247. Continuing to stay on it, more of a lifestyle change as well. I couldn’t do what you did so mine has been a little slower.
  • mikewarrenuk
    mikewarrenuk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m doing fasting
  • BobaFettSlave1
    BobaFettSlave1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Trying 16/8 but I have a weird schedule. Only been a few days but I think it will work well.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Your title indicates you want to “make it work this time,” implying you want to keep off any weight you lose. I think objective #1 should be to use your weight loss period as an experimentation period, with the end goal of having a solid weight maintenance plan nailed out for when you reach your ideal weight range.

Long-term weight maintainers will tell you that maintaining weight takes just as much mindfulness, flexibility, and good-habit-formation as weight loss. The only difference is we want to maintain our healthy weight for the rest of our lives, not just for a few months. Can I offer a bit of framing that might help you prepare to keep off the weight?

Don’t do anything to LOSE weight that you wouldn’t do to MAINTAIN your weight loss for the rest of your life.

Because basically, you’ll have to develop healthy lifelong habits anyway. Might as well start developing them during weight loss; that way you’ll have enough practice to be really well-prepared once you reach goal weight!

Will you be doing extended fasting when you reach your goal weight? How about intermittent fasting? Have you committed to an hour on the treadmill every day forever? If yes, do you have a plan for holidays, vacations, injury, etc?

Tweak your habits JUST ENOUGH to get you a steady downward weight-trend, but that still can fit pretty seamlessly into your life/preferences/schedule. We are rooting for you to get to KEEP off all the weight you’ll lose!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Fasting is either a scale gimmick or a useful tool to assist with ease of compliance.

Scale gimmick - Fasting often increases the release of water weight. This is done by altering the schedule of eating, depleting more glycogen, and/or decreasing overall sodium intake.

Useful tool - Decreasing the number of meals means bigger, and for some, more satisfactory meals. Reducing the amount of time food is available helps some to shut off snacking habits. Fasting can also teach a person that normally hunger is not an emergency and that cravings can be ignored.

Weight can be lost through many ways. Almost every notable plan out there has a small percentage of success. However most people fail to lose all the weight they want to lose or keep it off if they do lose it. This is because they think the diet begins and ends and as @gallicinvasion says success is getting the weight off and keeping it off for forever. Weight loss should be the smallest chapter of the overall process.