Where are vitamins/nutrients counted?

Options
I take a lot of vitamins and supplements and I’d like to see a total for all of them but they only seem to count vitamin C and iron unless there’s somewhere else I should be looking? Also I got a red negative notice on vitamin C because it thinks I had too much vitamin C? That’s ridiculous! Vitamin C is water soluble and goes through your body and is not toxic especially when taken as listed on the bottle. I don’t even see vitamin B listed as a nutrient. Is there somewhere in the app where you can see all the nutrients and micronutrients? I thought I saw that they were listed someplace. Thanks.

Replies

• MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    MFP only shows vitamin A, C, iron, calcium and potassium, and even those data are often lacking, since the database is user-generated. At least in my part of the world nutrition labels aren't required to post any micronutrient info, so whenever I enter something new into the database, all that information will inevitably be missing. You will probably need to look for some other app if you want to track all micronutrients.

Personally I don't pay much attention to the red notices. It's just MFP's way of saying you've gone over the RDA value - it doesn't mean that MFP thinks you are, I don't know, poisoning yourself or something. For example, I often go over my recommended intake of fiber of 25g by 10 or 15g easily.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP has limited micronutrient tracking, it doesn't include B vitamins.

MFP's values are set to go red for everything when you're over 100%. It doesn't mean you've had "too much," it simply means you've hit the RDA. It's not ridiculous, you just need to understand what it is communicating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I just focus on the things I might have trouble hitting, like iron, fiber, and protein, or the things I don't want to go over, like calories.

I take vitamin C to bowel tolerance and don't see the point in tracking it, as my values are so far over the RDA, but if I wanted to, I could do it here:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings