Hypnosis & Self-Hypnosis

Options
This is something I wrote in response to someone but thought maybe others would be interested. What I wrote:

Hi, I just rejoined here and am checking out the app again. I went to school to be a Certified Hypnotherapist. I only practiced for a year or so before moving on to other things but I learned a lot. It sounds like your conscious mind and subconscious mind are at odds. The only way you can become successful is if you get your subconscious mind to agree with your conscious mind’s wishes. There are MANY methods of hypnotherapy for weight loss. One is aversion therapy that makes you disgusted with your favorite fattening foods but I don’t like that because I believe one should always be able to enjoy favorite foods in small amounts. Depriving someone permanently of chocolate is criminal! There are many hypnosis albums you can get on Amazon or Apple Music, even apps you can download or you can try an experiment that I use that works for me. I’m curious if it works for others.

Try this if you want. Find a time when you can be alone and lie down or sit comfortably with headphones and listen to nature sounds of the ocean. Naturespace is an app you can try that has free tracks and is very surround sound. But ocean sounds are easy to find anywhere. Close your eyes, relax. Imagine you are on a beautiful tropical beach. Feel the sand under your feet, watch the waves, birds, some palm trees, feel a breeze on your face, smell the slight smell of salt in the air. REALLY be there. Now see a woman approaching you. She is fit and beautiful and you wish you could look like that. As she approaches closer, you realize it IS you! You walk up to her then merge with her. You are now your future self with your ideal body. Notice your flat stomach, your toned arms and legs. Imagine some guys walking by and admiring you. Imagine feeling so confident in your bikini. You are so proud of your body and love that feeling of freedom that you can play in the water, have so much fun and not feel self-conscious at all. Really feel the emotions of how great that would feel. You can go on fantasizing about other things you’d do or people you’d like to be around, maybe even an encounter with a celebrity crush! Have fun with it! Just really get into the fantasy of it. Whenever I’ve done this it really kickstarts my diet and I lose all interest in food except as healthy fuel for the body. It’s a form of self hypnosis where you train your subconscious mind to desire the same thing you consciously want. If you do this often enough, maybe every night before sleep or when you just wake up in the morning (when your brain is the most suggestive and in an Alpha brainwave state) you should see results! If you do it and it works, please let me know! :smiley:

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    This is something I wrote in response to someone but thought maybe others would be interested. What I wrote:

Hi, I just rejoined here and am checking out the app again. I went to school to be a Certified Hypnotherapist. I only practiced for a year or so before moving on to other things but I learned a lot. It sounds like your conscious mind and subconscious mind are at odds. The only way you can become successful is if you get your subconscious mind to agree with your conscious mind’s wishes. There are MANY methods of hypnotherapy for weight loss. One is aversion therapy that makes you disgusted with your favorite fattening foods but I don’t like that because I believe one should always be able to enjoy favorite foods in small amounts. Depriving someone permanently of chocolate is criminal! There are many hypnosis albums you can get on Amazon or Apple Music, even apps you can download or you can try an experiment that I use that works for me. I’m curious if it works for others.

Try this if you want. Find a time when you can be alone and lie down or sit comfortably with headphones and listen to nature sounds of the ocean. Naturespace is an app you can try that has free tracks and is very surround sound. But ocean sounds are easy to find anywhere. Close your eyes, relax. Imagine you are on a beautiful tropical beach. Feel the sand under your feet, watch the waves, birds, some palm trees, feel a breeze on your face, smell the slight smell of salt in the air. REALLY be there. Now see a woman approaching you. She is fit and beautiful and you wish you could look like that. As she approaches closer, you realize it IS you! You walk up to her then merge with her. You are now your future self with your ideal body. Notice your flat stomach, your toned arms and legs. Imagine some guys walking by and admiring you. Imagine feeling so confident in your bikini. You are so proud of your body and love that feeling of freedom that you can play in the water, have so much fun and not feel self-conscious at all. Really feel the emotions of how great that would feel. You can go on fantasizing about other things you’d do or people you’d like to be around, maybe even an encounter with a celebrity crush! Have fun with it! Just really get into the fantasy of it. Whenever I’ve done this it really kickstarts my diet and I lose all interest in food except as healthy fuel for the body. It’s a form of self hypnosis where you train your subconscious mind to desire the same thing you consciously want. If you do this often enough, maybe every night before sleep or when you just wake up in the morning (when your brain is the most suggestive and in an Alpha brainwave state) you should see results! If you do it and it works, please let me know! :smiley:

When I first started reading, I wasnt really sure about it. But.. i quite like it, especially merging with the person you'd like to see yourself as.

I kind of believe we can write our own futures. I mean didnt Jim Carrey once right himself a million dollar cheque with a future date and got it BEFORE the date?

I mean I dunno, couldve been fakenews but I see where you're going with it.

When I'm stressed, i normally try and "go" to one of my holidays in Greece. I imagine just laying on the loungers with the sun, wind blowing, sea waves and the water in the pool splashing and i can really feel like im there for just a moment.

Although I've always seen that as meditating rather than hypnosis? Well I never knew really what I was doing haha it just relaxes me.
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The main difference between meditation and hypnotherapy is that meditation is more to relax, go inward, lose sense of self, get a feeling of being at one with the universe, euphoria, inner peace... Hypnotherapy is about changing behaviors. Often you consciously want one thing but for some reason your subconscious wants another. Like maybe someone consciously wants to lose weight but their subconscious remembers when maybe they got unwanted sexual attention or was even sexually abused or raped and the subconscious thinks by keeping the body overweight, they will be less desirable and protected from that happening again. Hypnotherapy can make the subconscious realize that weight loss is a good thing, that it’s safe to lose that weight. Or maybe during a stressful time you used food as comfort so your subconscious thinks it’s a good thing to overeat and again, you have to make it realize that excess food is not good, that healthy amounts of healthy food is what is really desirable.

This is why an actual hypnotherapist is better than CDs or streaming premade recordings. The hypnotherapist is trained as a therapist to find the source of WHY you are overweight to come up with an appropriate hypnotherapy session for that person’s individual needs. My generic self-hypnosis is only useful if you can really imagine and FEEL how great it is to be your ideal weight. The more truly felt positive emotion you have, the better it will work. Some people may have a subconscious that fights it, is not really happy being fit, and this person would do better with a personal hypnotherapist. But if imagining being in shape really makes you feel emotions of happiness, joy and freedom to the point it makes you smile, it can truly be effective. Imagining you are on a beach is relaxing but it’s the joy of seeing and feeling yourself in your ideal future body that can bring change. And if it works, you may find yourself no longer interested in unhealthy foods or thinking about food at all as your subconscious realizes there’s no benefit to keeping on the extra weight and a definite benefit to losing it and will try to bring your body closer to the way you imagined it.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Yeah i see what you're getting at.

Although I know why i struggle without a hypnotist telling me.
    Cause I'm lazy af. Haha

I'll admit its not for me, I prefer the meditation route, but thanks for the insight and stuff! It is still interesting to read
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That’s exactly my problem! I eat super healthy and don’t overeat but I HATE exercise and always think there’s so much else I’d rather be doing when I do it and get bored easily. My blocks against it are too strong to do self-hypnosis so I remembered there are some good hypnosis tracks on Apple Music and I just did an exercise motivation one by Glenn Harrold but fell asleep into a dream where I thought I was in his office and he was doing a personal session and I freaked out because I forgot to ask him how much it cost! At one point he said “repeat after me” and I couldn’t speak and tried to say I lost my voice but then I cleared my throat and that woke me up lol. You usually need several sessions. I’ll see if it works!
  • Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love this thank you! I am definitely going to try it.