Shoe Suggestions

Options
Hey everybody 👋🏼
Any particular brands/shoes that you guys like for running. I have bad knees and am looking for sneakers with a good amount of support.
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Jch4mb3rs
    Jch4mb3rs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but it is something that I am looking to get more and more into.

With that in mind I ended up buying a pair of Brooks running shoes. In my limited experience I would certainly recommend them!

Their website has a quiz where they will ask you questions like how you walk, what kind of running you want to do, personal injuries etc and then give you shoe recommendations based on that. That is how I chose my pair and I would say it was pretty spot on.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to a running store and get a gait analysis and proper fit.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ASICS Gel-Quantum 360 Knit or Asics Gel Kayano 24.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

This is why I never recommend specific shoes......both of these are stability shoes and to recommend them without knowing whether or not the OP over or under pronates is folly. Don't get me wrong, I've been running in Asics (a neutral shoe) for well over a decade and love them but what works for me may not work for the OP.

OP.....get your gait analyzed of you have access to a running specialty shop. Here's a link to an article that may help you decide, at least, what type of shoe you need. Once you've determined that try on as many different makes / models as you can until you find ones that fit great and are really comfortable.

https://asics.com/gb/en-gb/running-advice/understanding-pronation-find-the-right-shoes-for-you/
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Finding running shoes is a lot like finding a pair of jeans that fit just right. It really depends on your shape, your body, how you move and your preferences.

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of shoes that are equally “good” - but will only be good if they happen to work for you (based on size/shape of your foot, your gait (how your foot moves through a step), your preferences for cushion/feel/running surface, etc.)

If you have an oddly shaped foot, a neuroma, live right on the edge of PF, like a lot of cushion, need a very roomy toe box and also have a sort of mid foot strike with some overpronation (but not too much) then my Saucony shoes might work for you.

Your best bet is to go to a running store. Let them measure your feet (for size and shape), and watch you move. There will still be many, many shoes that could work for you-but they can help narrow the field.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    .. And depending on the source of the knee issues, more support and/or padding may potentially be worse. (too much heel striking can exacerbate some knee issues, and less support/padding can train you out of doing it.. Basically by making it immediately uncomfortable to do it rather than pain showing up miles later). (not necessarily an issue for you).

I wear Keen's (not really so much a running shoe though, and not much padding, support... They are one of the very few brands that fit me well... Very wide toe box with longer big toe).
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love my Altra Plush but my feet have very specific needs. You should get what feels beat for you.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Ignore any advice that suggests a particular brand or model shoe. That may be best for the author but may be horrible for you. Go to a specialty store and get fitted. Then choose the brand/model that fits best and works for your budget.

Good luck.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am one of many that will also recommend a running shoe store for proper analysis and fit. I live near a minimalist shoe store and thanks to them I was able to gradually alter my stride (major heel strike) and went from horrendous shin splints early on in C25K to now training for a half marathon relatively pain free! They aren’t anti-cushion (the general thought is minimalist=barefoot) the Altras I am currently wearing are quite soft and squishy, but mostly getting people in shoes that allow flex and movement.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options

This is why I never recommend specific shoes......both of these are stability shoes and to recommend them without knowing whether or not the OP over or under pronates is folly. Don't get me wrong, I've been running in Asics (a neutral shoe) for well over a decade and love them but what works for me may not work for the OP.

OP.....get your gait analyzed of you have access to a running specialty shop. Here's a link to an article that may help you decide, at least, what type of shoe you need. Once you've determined that try on as many different makes / models as you can until you find ones that fit great and are really comfortable.

https://asics.com/gb/en-gb/running-advice/understanding-pronation-find-the-right-shoes-for-you/

Hey, Brian.

That’s fair enough, mate. I was only mentioning brands that are neutral and friendly for beginner runners as I am not too sure of the distances she is running.

For me, I wear my Reebok Nano X for daily runs but I only run 2 to 3 miles a day and also wear them for agility training, sprints and other cross training activities.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks Adrenaline. They have tons of fun patterns.