Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    I think the Garmin is still set up for HR. My bike has a pm and I use the icg app too which is synced to the bike.

If you can't connect your Garmin to the bike's power meter (best option) just verify the bike uses the standard and very accurate conversion of average watts per hour X 3.6 to give an extremely accurate estimate of net cals.

BTW - if your Garmin is recording "speed" from your stationary bike's sensor (and hence distance) that speed/distance will be very significantly inflated vis a vis same power output outdoors (no aero drag, no gravity to fight on the hills and little inertia to overcome. Oh how I wish I could fly along at a consistent 23mph like my stationary bike tells me......

You do need to verify the power to calorie numbers as some bike manufacturers use daft software algorithms to give inflated burns despite having accurate power readings (like my Wattbike).

When you have the gold standard for calorie estimates you should discard all the rest.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    HilTri wrote: »
    I think the Garmin is still set up for HR. My bike has a pm and I use the icg app too which is synced to the bike.

If you can't connect your Garmin to the bike's power meter (best option) just verify the bike uses the standard and very accurate conversion of average watts per hour X 3.6 to give an extremely accurate estimate of net cals.

BTW - if your Garmin is recording "speed" from your stationary bike's sensor (and hence distance) that speed/distance will be very significantly inflated vis a vis same power output outdoors (no aero drag, no gravity to fight on the hills and little inertia to overcome. Oh how I wish I could fly along at a consistent 23mph like my stationary bike tells me......

You do need to verify the power to calorie numbers as some bike manufacturers use daft software algorithms to give inflated burns despite having accurate power readings (like my Wattbike).

When you have the gold standard for calorie estimates you should discard all the rest.

Will do! Thank you.