I want Fat to Strong!.... where do I start tho?

Options
Hi, thanks for clicking in. 😊

I need help knowing where to start. I’ve always had thick thigh and calf muscles and strong shoulders without really working at it (the rest of me is a hot mess though 🤣). Now I’m 45, overweight and out of shape. Those muscles are still there, right under the cushy top layer, just waiting for me to use them again.

The thing is, since I’ve not worked at being strong before, I don’t know where to start from a beginner level. Is there an app for bodyweight that builds up? I downloaded an app but the start was too hard for my size and weak muscles. Should I just get some free weights? If so, what kind? Aggghhh! It’s just overwhelming..... thought I’d check with the experts here on MFP. Any suggestions on what would be best?

Appreciate you reading my frenetic brain waves.

Replies

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would say Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe with extended rest periods and light walks each day since your joints will have to adapt.

Many of the beachbody and commercial routines focus on high intensity interval training and plyometrics which can injure you if you are heavy and they often aren’t designed for maximal strength but for endurance, agility, weight loss, etc.

Look into low impact workouts and don’t underestimate how much you can sweat from a strength training program! Me and a friend would sweat a lot when we did a powerlifting routine.

StrongLifts 5x5 is another beginner program and I believe there is also an app as well.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also, check out Ethan Suplee.

He lost a lot of weight and does a lot of weight training.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great advise!!! Thank you so much, Ryan!!!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to find some exercise that you actually enjoy and build from there. Personally, I like to have my plan and a tiny goal on the side. For example, I wanted to increase my plank time. I did planks most days at the gym until my times increased. Just a little here and there really adds up over time. I like doing that because I can see the results.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to find some exercise that you actually enjoy and build from there. Personally, I like to have my plan and a tiny goal on the side. For example, I wanted to increase my plank time. I did planks most days at the gym until my times increased. Just a little here and there really adds up over time. I like doing that because I can see the results.

Thank you so much, Michelle! Small increments might work perfectly for me. Also, when I work out, I mostly just wanna put all the adulting to the side and not stress more about something else. Mini-goals might be perfect!