Great meal replacement smoothie!

Options
I created this smoothie and think it’s a great (and delicious) meal replacement. I’m not a nutritionist so please correct me if I’m wrong. It totals 23g protein, 51gm carbs (but no empty ones) and 17gm fat but all healthy fat. Not sure if that’s a good ratio, you can always add another scoop of protein powder or use almond milk instead of water to add more protein but it seems to me to be really nutritiously sound. Also sometimes I add frozen organic blueberries or other organic frozen fruit. I freeze all my bananas to use in smoothies (take peel off first!) I use the Magic Bullet but probably any blender would be fine. Let me know what you think!

.aacjtj6bb7rm.jpeg

Replies

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome, thank you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    The macros look good for the calories. I assume with all those supplement-type things in there, there's also a decent contribution to micros, but can't tell for sure. Don't know about fiber.

Whether it's a good thing in an overall sense depends on what the rest of your day looks like. IMO nutrition is about the totality of what we eat, vs. particular foods or meals being "good" or "bad" in a standalone sense. By the end of the day, most days, I want to reach a certain minimum of protein and fats (prioritizing MUFA/PUFA and O-3s, because sat fats and O-6s tend to come along in adequate amounts for me), and generally get many servings of varied, colorful veggies/fruits for micros and fiber (at least 5+ servings daily, preferably 10+). I don't worry too much about individual foods/meals, I worry about the totality.

Personally, I prefer to get as many nutrients as possible from foods, rather than from supplements. This is not something I think everyone necessarily needs to do, because what's most important is getting reasonable overall nutrition at a reasonable calorie level.

For myself, I prefer foods to supplements for two main reasons: (1) I find them more tasty/filling; and (2) I'm pretty old (64), and all through my life science has kept "discovering" new essential or beneficial nutrients. Once new useful nutrients are discovered, they're put into supplement formulations . . . but they were in regular foods all along, foods that humans evolved eating. I figuring I'm hedging my nutritional bets if I get most of my nutrients from regular foods humans have eaten for centuries or millennia - there may be some as yet undiscovered good stuff that comes along for the ride. YMMV.

If you're enjoying the smoothie, and it helps you feel full and hit good overall nutritional and calorie targets, that's perfect.🙂