Anyone bake with Allulose?

Options
I bought some allulose to try, my husband has been using it in his coffee and likes it just fine.

I was making my son's birthday cake and realized I was low on sugar. I did half allulose and half sugar rather than run out to the store for more sugar. I figured the reduction in sugar would be fine anyway.

Now I'm worried it will give my kids gastric distress - I tried some, now I have some gas. I'm an adult. What if it gives my kids gas? Have I ruined the cake? I am not frosting or serving it for a couple of days, I was just making it ahead.

It was only half allulose, 1 cup in a whole thing of cake. Thoughts?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It's really impossible to know how your kid will respond. I find kids tend to not suffer as much from gas-inducing things as adults do. It was when I started to get into my 30's is when things actually started giving me gas. The only thing that might happen is your kid might pick up on something being different about the taste.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Every review I've read says it tastes just like sugar, but less sweet.

DH has been having it in his coffee all week, he usually has stevia which has a much more distinctive taste.

I gave DH a piece of the extra cake last night, he had no problems. I think it's just me. I also ate way too much. I think I'm just overthinking this. There is a ton of icing going on this project, so if someone gets digestive upset it may be for any reason really.