Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Trying to get a strong upper body(ANY ADVICE IS GOOD)

FisherGTFisherGT Member Posts: 55 Member Member Posts: 55 Member
Hi, I am trying to gain strength and endurance for climbing. I am not sure what to do to gain strength without getting fat. Currently I eat a low carb diet and I normally eat 1400-2000 calories a day. I have been gaining strength, but slower than I'd like. I am wondering if I should try to put on mass.

I am 5'8"
I weight 132lb
BF 22%

Replies

• BadNew54uBadNew54u Member, Premium Posts: 8 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8 Member
    I heard Calisthenic routines are great for climbing and building upper body strength. You can combine it with a HIIT routine to take care of any extra fat you gain while eating more calories.
  • RepswithRyanRepswithRyan Member, Premium Posts: 168 Member Member, Premium Posts: 168 Member
    Static pull-up hangs for time
    One arm pull-up hangs for time
    Switch grip pull-ups
    Stagger pull-upds
    Lateral swings
    Around the world pull-ups
    Zig Zag pull-ups

There are a lot of different variations of pull-ups that will develop strength for climbing.
  • DevilsFan1DevilsFan1 Member, Premium Posts: 342 Member Member, Premium Posts: 342 Member
    If you want to be a better climber, get as lean as possible. You're already pretty lean at 22% BF (if accurate), but every pound of fat you lose will help.
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 8,579 Member Member Posts: 8,579 Member
    Strength doesn't equate fat.

Find ways to train that involve progressive overload and practice at the skill of your goal.

I wouldn't have a goal of adding mass unless that was the deciding factor why you can't climb.

I would just train with your goal in mind under a well written resistance program
  • FisherGTFisherGT Member Posts: 55 Member Member Posts: 55 Member
    I am concerned about getting any leaner since any lighter than 130 and I start to have trouble keeping body temp in sub-0F temps. Alpine mornings can be a *kitten* for hypothermia for me.
  • yukfooyukfoo Member Posts: 734 Member Member Posts: 734 Member
    Grab a chin/pullup bar. all upper body.
  • JondurredJondurred Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    Have you got a beastmaker or other fingerboard? You can do all the pull up variations but then you can really work your forearms and fingers (warm up well first!) and get stupid Popeye-sized forearms!

• IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 198 Member Member Posts: 198 Member
    Don't be mad but strength and endurance don't typically fare well with low carbs.
  • MT1134MT1134 Member Posts: 165 Member Member Posts: 165 Member
    What are you doing training wise? Perhaps we could offer better advice if you give a little more background on yourself.
  • gabrielcurran2243gabrielcurran2243 Member Posts: 20 Member Member Posts: 20 Member
    Pull-up/dip station is all you need