Chewing gum

Options
KasimK
KasimK Posts: 14 Member
Is chewing gum bad for your health? Is it high in calories?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You could try sugar free gum - no calories, better for your teeth too

Bu, no, I dont think it would be bad for your health or high in calories (except your dental health if it has sugar and that is on your teeth for extended period of time) - although it isnt something I do myself.

anyway just account for the calories - I know you don't swallow the gum but you probably do extract most of the sugar out of it before you are done with it.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I chew a package at least a day for years of sugar free. Never counted calories for my gum.. Everything else yes I weigh/ count. Thats me though. Do what works for you. I get aspartame free too- Pur or Spry and Glee
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is lots of sugar-free gum that is very low in calories. There is also gum with sugar. It's higher calorie, but still not what I would describe as "high calorie."
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don’t count gum. In fact, I use it as “diet aid” in terms of chewing it when I want to eat because I’m bored. Keeps me distracted and I figure the calories of the gum are used up chewing it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kasimRK wrote: »
    Is it high in calories?

Aren't the calories listed on the packaging of whatever brand you are chewing?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    I don’t count gum. In fact, I use it as “diet aid” in terms of chewing it when I want to eat because I’m bored. Keeps me distracted and I figure the calories of the gum are used up chewing it.

Same here. I've saved myself a zillion calories by popping in a stick of 5 calorie gum; sometimes it's just enough to get me over that 'wow, I'm so hungry I could eat a horse' feeling. :) I like Extra peppermint gum.
    DH's dentist even recommended that he chew gum at work after meals, when he can't floss.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ Sometimes, I chew so much gum at one time some (Maw) asks me if I'm chewing tobacco. Naaaahh. I try not to go into town with 4 sticks at one time but it sure does help when things are stressful. I like Extra, too. If I have too much gum, I do resemble a horse with hay-belly and hindgut disturbance. It's the over abundance of sweeteners but it goes away. ;)