Iron

Hi team,
I've just started using the app and have come to the frightening conclusion I'm eating way below the average of iron. I've been researching the best iron rich foods but they seem to have a low mg. Does anyone have some tips on where to get the most iron from on a daily basis?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I was given iron supplements after going to a blood drive recently. But that's because I tend to run on the low side, historically. Before that, I was taking a multivit (Centrum Forte...which also has iron). Now I alternate between the two daily. Blue pill, orange pill, blue pill, orange pill. Oy. We'll see if the addition of the dedicated iron supplement helps when I get my bloodwork done later this month.

If your concern is based on a history of bloodwork like mine has been, then ask your treating physician how to best approach increasing your iron levels.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 600 Member
    I happen to love smoked mussels, and one can provides half of my daily requirement. I also have plain oatmeal regularly. Recently I’ve incorporated tofu and edamame after perusing a friend’s food diary. Lean red meat happens often-ish too.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Double check the entries you are using in MFP. They are crowd sourced and may not be accurate. You may be getting more than you think. Also, the only way to know if you are deficient is to have your iron tested. Just because you are not eating as much (or think you aren't) doesn't automatically mean it is a problem.