NSV: Finally beat the food ordering urge!

Options
Ever since grad school 5 years ago, stress and boredom in equal parts used to compel me to order food all the time. I would even hide it from my roommates, collecting my food from the delivery guy behind the building somewhere and sneak it into the house. Last year, I started living alone and now that I had no one to hide my purchases from, I would order food every. day. It was shameful and disgusting. I thought I could shame myself into stopping but it did not work. Sometimes I would have a mad craving and then order a bunch of groceries just to receive that one item. The COVID onset worsened it, because I could not go out and so the loneliness compounded. One day, I got a health checkup and my blood sugar and LDL had become a lot higher than they were just 7 months ago.

Since then, I really tried to reduce the number of times I ate out, especially after I had to take a pay cut because of the pandemic. Finally one month ago, I decided this was it. I needed a lifestyle change pronto. I stopped ordering food more than once in ten days, and even then I would make sure I ate it for two meals. I started drinking flax seed in water every day to fill myself up, ate more protein and veggies. Today I really felt like opening Ubereats and calling it a day, instead I sauteed some vegetables and paneer and spiced it up to satisfy my cravings. The weight loss is slow, but I am focusing on better habits. Hopefully i can stick to this!

Just thought I'd put it out there.

Replies

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It sounds like you have made a new, healthier habit!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's so hard to break a long standing and comfortable habit but it sounds like you're well on your way!! Congratulations, stick with it, the changes will become easier. And soon you'll realize you've replaced your old habits with new and better ones!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    I understand the urge to order food for delivery! Especially once the pandemic hit, I started to do it all the time. There were days I ordered twice in a single day! Right now it is something that I am trying very hard to stop doing. I never feel well after I eat the food because I don't order "healthy" options (lack of a better word this early in the morning) and I overeat. I also hate the drain it has been on my wallet! So it is a new "rule" (again, lack of a better work this early in the morning) for me to just stop it.