Feels impossible to eat only 1200 calories!!

Options
It feels nearly impossible to only eat 1240 calories a day! I am getting frustrated and have hit a plateau for a couple months. My BMR is 1656 calories and this app tells me that if I want to lose 20 lbs, than I only can eat approx 1200 cals a day. What do I eat?! Please help :(

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Do you have your weight loss set at .5 lbs a week?

Are you using a food scale and weighing everything that you eat?
  • minibagz1203
    minibagz1203 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm finding a hard time too! I drink 2 slimfast shakes a day and have small snacks to keep hunger at bay, then i eat a meal for dinner.
  • ChristieJourney
    ChristieJourney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 1 pound a week. And I have never weighed my food...do you literally weigh your food? I am really new to this
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have it set at 1 pound a week. And I have never weighed my food...do you literally weigh your food? I am really new to this

Healthy weight loss would be .5 lbs a week. It might help to change your goal. To be honest I don't use a scale, but using one does help you to know a more accurate look into how much you are eating.
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Healthy weight loss would be .5 lbs a week. It might help to change your goal. To be honest I don't use a scale, but using one does help you to know a more accurate look into how much you are eating.

Thanks for your advice!

• ChristieJourney
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »
    Do you have your weight loss set at .5 lbs a week?

Are you using a food scale and weighing everything that you eat?

^^^This. If your deficit is too aggressive it will make you crazy. Get all notions of doing any of this in a hurry out of your head. People are usually concerned about how long it takes because they are trying to suffer through it. If that’s you, try to find the place where you can lose without the suffering.
    The best plan is one we will actually follow.

My approach to calorie counting was different from a lot of folks. I carefully weighed, measured and tracked everything to make sure I was eat as much as my plan allowed. But if your numbers and tracking
    are tight the only other place to go is food selection. Get enough dietary fat and enough protein. Fill in the rest with fresh veggies and some fruit. My best weight loss friends have been, egg whites, apples, broccoli and cabbage.
    You’re absolutely right. Honestly, I should be eating better. The foods I want to eat are high in calories so that’s makes it seem impossible.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That'll do it. You can lose the weight, it's hard, but you can. I think the previous suggestion about food choices is key. I use a food scale and it helps.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yes, I didn’t start out that way though. But It makes tracking more accurate, especially when you don’t have much wiggle room. That tablespoon of PB measured could be far different than one weighed. It took me a couple/few weeks to settle into a new norm with food. I started out with high caloric breakfasts which messed me up for the rest of the day so I started there (I try too keep them under 300, usually a thin slice of bagel, cheese, and an egg). I also pushed my first meal to later in the morning so I didn’t feel as snacky before lunch. Find low cal fillers, or substitutes for higher cal options (my go to mayo was 100cal/serving, I switched to a different type that is only 45. Not as simple of an ingredient list, but for the little I use I don’t sweat it). Taco night? Make it a taco salad for yourself. Burgers and fries? Skip the bun, add in a veggie for volume so you don’t fill up on fried potatoes.
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    That'll do it. You can lose the weight, it's hard, but you can. I think the previous suggestion about food choices is key. I use a food scale and it helps.
    Thanks!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    It feels nearly impossible to only eat 1240 calories a day! I am getting frustrated and have hit a plateau for a couple months. My BMR is 1656 calories and this app tells me that if I want to lose 20 lbs, than I only can eat approx 1200 cals a day. What do I eat?! Please help :(

That's why I exercise!
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    Yes, I didn’t start out that way though. But It makes tracking more accurate, especially when you don’t have much wiggle room. That tablespoon of PB measured could be far different than one weighed. It took me a couple/few weeks to settle into a new norm with food. I started out with high caloric breakfasts which messed me up for the rest of the day so I started there (I try too keep them under 300, usually a thin slice of bagel, cheese, and an egg). I also pushed my first meal to later in the morning so I didn’t feel as snacky before lunch. Find low cal fillers, or substitutes for higher cal options (my go to mayo was 100cal/serving, I switched to a different type that is only 45. Not as simple of an ingredient list, but for the little I use I don’t sweat it). Taco night? Make it a taco salad for yourself. Burgers and fries? Skip the bun, add in a veggie for volume so you don’t fill up on fried potatoes.
    Yeah those little changes would probably help a lot! Didn’t think of that. Also, I am doing intermittent fasting so in the morning I get ravenous with hunger and I tend to eat most of my calories in the morning. Which screws up the rest of my day :( So I need to find another way because that seems to sabotage things

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If IF isn’t working for you, maybe try something else? I usually eat breakfast between 9 and 10 rather than when I first get up, unless I do an early run, then I have two breakfasts :lol: set eating times/time frames works for some but not all - experiment and see what works for YOU!
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

That's why I exercise!
    I’m not consistent enough with exercise. That needs to change
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    If IF isn’t working for you, maybe try something else? I usually eat breakfast between 9 and 10 rather than when I first get up, unless I do an early run, then I have two breakfasts :lol: set eating times/time frames works for some but not all - experiment and see what works for YOU!
    IF did work in the beginning - I lost 15 lbs pretty quickly. But I’m assuming that was mostly water weight because it happened so fast. That’s why I have stuck with IF. The food I am eating is the biggest threat I think. I’ll switch it up a bit :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

That's why I exercise!

Even if you walk for half an hour, you should get an extra 100 calories to work with. :)
  • clauslene
    clauslene Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie;
    At the beginning I was measuring everything to know exactly what I was eating and to understand better the portions.. now I kind of know the sizes and measure less.
    Also what can help you is eating more fat and protein, you will hit your calorie count faster however you'll feel less hungry.

Hope it helps ;)
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything (apart from maybe lettuce, cucumber etc - which is unlikely to make my count more than 10kcal off), and also - the rate of weight loss that's sustainable/reasonable changes depending on how much you have left to lose, if you're close-ish to goal weight you could set your rate to 0.5 per week. But seriously, get a food scale, without it you really can't know for sure how much you're eating - either over or under your goal
  • ChristieJourney
    Options

That's why I exercise!

Even if you walk for half an hour, you should get an extra 100 calories to work with. :)
    Seems simple enough :)
  • ChristieJourney
    Options
    clauslene wrote: »
    Hi Christie;
    At the beginning I was measuring everything to know exactly what I was eating and to understand better the portions.. now I kind of know the sizes and measure less.
    Also what can help you is eating more fat and protein, you will hit your calorie count faster however you'll feel less hungry.

Hope it helps ;)

I should look into a food scale! Thanks!