Sleep at regular time a factor to gain weight ?

Options
I follow an app for calories intake. I make a calorie surplus of 600-700. I sleep for 8 hours daily but the sleep time is not regular, for instance today I might sleep at 3 am, the next day at 1 am, next day at 4 am. Will it effect my weight gain directly ? I know this might have other effects but will this sleep pattern effeect it directly, or is it just the calories that matter ?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at different times it could affect how much food is in your system when you weigh-in. Or it could affect your appetite which could make you eat less/more. But in terms of actually preventing weight gain if you are keeping up with your calories? No. I have a very erratic sleep schedule, I haven't found any impact on my ability to lose or gain.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    the one thing I've noticed is that if I don't sleep enough I end up feeling hungrier the next day so it can make me overeat (I'm in the "maintenance but wouldn't mind slowly dropping maybe another 4-5lbs" stage tho, personally)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    We are human. If we can get 7.5 hours of deep uninterrupted sleep, that is ideal.

I suggest a consistent sleep pattern to promote behavior towards adhearance.

If we have to abide by other patterns because life dictates, that is reasonable.

Myself personally that past four weeks I've lived off 1-3 hours sleep while training and running my business. Not ideal, but we have to adjust for life with the understanding what outcomes or goals might be affected.

For your goal of weight gain, calories will heavily favor the outcome. Activity level should also be considered.