I do so well during the day.......

joaniej75
joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
but when I get off work and get home I bomb. I wish I had better self control. I just feel like I am starving all the time. I was put on a new kind of BC last year and since then I feel like I just cant get full. Maybe its all in my mind and I know I need to work on it. Just wanted to vent a little....Maybe writing it down will help me

Replies

• JJMorrocco
    JJMorrocco Posts: 43 Member
    Don't go home????

I think we all struggle at home knowing there is all that good food in the fridge and pantry. I try get out and do something right after supper - whether is be the gym or just tinkering in the garage, it distracts me until my bed time snack. Worst thing I do is turn on that damn TV! One other trick is going to bed early - not only avoids food but sleep is huge in my diet - if I am tired my body wants to eat to try and stay awake.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I have the same problem. What's helped me a bit is to allow a certain number of calories for my snack. That allows me to have one, but in a controlled way. I agree with JJ about TV, don't turn it on.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    I'm hoping that once school starts back for my kids (Monday), then I wont have time to think about it. They have so much homework and I have to spend hours it seems working on that......
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Log everything you eat when you eat it...I know for me when I get close to my limits it makes me nervous about going over lol. You can also try to pre-plan your meals and snacks so you know exactly what your working with for the day....find something to do when you start to want to eat snacks...take a walk, throw on a workout video, anything to get your mind off eating. You could also trying to look up new healthy recipes that seem more filling/satisfying. Maybe you are eating too many "light" foods and that is why you are not as satisfied.
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    The evening is also when I struggle or fail. I can plan out my breakfast and lunch because I have more time at work (crazy as it seems) but once I get home. I'm making dinner, laundry load, homework, ds is begging for a bike ride etc. I often just grab the nearest thing and shove it in my mouth. So many reasons. I'm hungry so I often nibble away while I am making dinner and then dont even sit to eat a dinner myself but I've still eaten a lot. I also snack when everyone else is in bed and its been my reward to myself for getting it all done and having a quiet moment.

I think recognizing thats when we struggle is the first step and then doing something instead of the fridge is the next step. I've been taking ds on that bike ride in the evening. Even though I am tired it keeps me out of the kitchen. I've been going to bed early. I also plan ahead as to what I am going to have as a snack if I get home and I'm busy and starving. I plan my dinner ahead so I know exactly what its going to be. That helps a lot for me.
  • cphair27
    cphair27 Posts: 17 Member
    I am usually the same way--so now I've been eating plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in 45 minutes before I leave the office so I'm not starving when I get home. It really works!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    I ALWAYS have a piece of fresh fruit in my bag for this exact reason. I eat in apple or banana in the car on my way home from work so I don't feel famished when I get there. It really seems to do the trick for me.
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    What tastes sooooo good and is really filling as a healthy snack is some low fat greek yogurt with blueberries on top. It just like a dessert really.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am usually the same way--so now I've been eating plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in 45 minutes before I leave the office so I'm not starving when I get home. It really works!

This!^ ..... that way I've already had my snack by the time I get home.

If this doesn't do the trick ...... make up little baggies of veggies. So when you're making dinner, you have plenty of (low calorie) munchies on hand. Hot air popcorn is another one ....just have a bowlfull handy.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Me, too. My weakest time of day is after I get home and before dinner. I just want to snack, snack, snack. I've learned to mostly curb it over time and snack on healthier things - a few nuts, some fruit - but it still is there. On bad days, I pop in some Crest whitestrips. It keeps me from eating and mentally is all logical to me, so I don't "want" to eat. :happy:
  • crybaby1216
    crybaby1216 Posts: 20 Member
    That is my problem to I have to stop eating by 5 or I will binge on anything.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I’m the same exact way. What has helped me recently is to prelog my meals. It helps keep me accountable. Also, I find something to keep me busy. I work out in the evenings for this reason. If I’m running I can’t be eating. Also, I give myself one reward every night and leave space in my calories. Usually a glass of wine or a bowl of ice cream, or both! But having those couple little treats keeps me from being tempted and blowing the whole day.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    What are you eating when you get home? Don't buy it.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    I'm in the same boat. During the day and at dinner I'm prety good, under in all categories then the nightly snack craving hits and and bingo I eat more then i should. I'm trying to keep good tasting but crappy snacks (cookies, etc) out fo the house and substitutnmg baby carrots or a small yogurt. I also try to brush my teeth earlier in the night, it may be weird but I don't like to eat right after I brush so it helps to reduce the craving.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    I have the same issue. Being relaxed at home, where I have easy access to lots of food, makes me want to eat more. But keeping myself busy with other work, helps keep mind off.
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    I pre-log my meals, too. I spend some time the night before or the morning of figuring out what is for dinner (that way I am not stuck at dinner time with nothing and order out). I work from there. I ALWAYS plan a snack for after dinner - because we eat at 5:30 p.m. - and I won't get to bed until 10 or 11...that is just too long for me to go without eating. So - I plan dinner first, then after dinner snack, THEN work my way down to figure out lunch and breakfast. IF I have leftover calories, I will eat snacks during the day....right now I have a bit of calories because I am very heavy - but I am getting into this habit because as I lose weight, my calorie allotment will go down - and I don't want to feel famished.

I LOVE the idea of eating a piece of fruit in the car on the way home - this is something I may start doing when I return to work. I know when I am hungry I tend to sample dinner as I cook...and I end up eating a LOT more than I want.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Ever try chewing gum when you are preparing meal, or after meal to get that taste out of your mouth. Brushing teeth helps me also!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Meal times play a huge part in my day. If I eat breakfast too early, I'm starving for lunch and I over-eat. If I eat dinner too early, I'm snacking before bed time. Planning low-cal snacks really helps me. I know I can have a small piece of fruit between meals to tide me over, and a good evening snack for me is a huge piece of celery with a laughing cow lite wedge. It's only 45 calories, but it gives me the satisfaction of the crunch & it's a little salty-tasting. You need to out-smart your body - you can do it!
  • Suzyqall72
    Suzyqall72 Posts: 105
    I hear you. Nighttime is the worst. When you're starving, and cooking for the kids, it is so tempting to just grab some crackers or whatever. Just eat fruit when you want something extra, that way you won't wreck your diet and it will fill you up. Or salad with light dressing. Good luck. You probably have more will power than you think.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I think our defenses get weakened by time evening comes around, and for some reason, food just seems to taste better at night! Eat lightly throughout the day, have a later dinner, and save some calories for an evening snack.
This discussion has been closed.