Can you get off the floor?

Options
This may seem kind of weird and random, but my ULTIMATE goal...when I will deem myself a new creation...will be when I can get off the floor without using my hands! So my question is this - can you do it and what is your height and weight? I want to know this info so I'll know maybe when to expect that this might be a possibility. I know strength is also a factor. I'm an averagely strong 5'6" woman who weighs 215 and most definitely cannot do it! ....yet!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Stand up from a sitting on the floor position. I'm 5'7 and 194 I can get up without using my hand. I was able to also do it at my highest weight of 225.

Best of luck!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think this has more to do with strength than body weight, up to a certain point. I'm 5'4 and about 170. I don't work out other than walking. I can get up without putting my hand down if I sort of swing to the side and then get up from my knees. If you're talking about being seated on the floor and then just putting your feet down flat and standing up, I think that takes a significant amount of body strength and isn't going to just come with a smaller weight. I'm pretty sure I would have never been able to do that even at my smallest and when I was working out, which was 120 pounds.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A woman here at 4'10 and 135lbs and yes I can do it and have been for awhile but when I first started on my fitness goals I couldn't and I was 176lbs. Strength probably has a lot to do with it but it is easier to move once you shed a good 20lbs!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about strength and flexibility than just weight.

I could get up from the floor without using hands at the weight where I started losing (mid-180s pounds at 5'5", so class1 obese). I can do it now at around 129 pounds, and I admit it's a little easier.

It would've been harder at age 45 (also mid-180s) than when I started losing weight (59 then, 64 now), because that was before I started being active and working out regularly. It may not be true for everyone, but for me, better fitness made more difference in getting up off the floor than weight loss made. (When I say "fitness", in this context, I mean a combination of strength, cardiovascular improvement, and flexibility.) I can't remember for sure if I could do it at age 45.

It will steadily get a little easier all the way along as you lose weight, though, I suspect . . . though it may take a few pounds head start before you really notice a difference. If your weight loss routine includes exercise, you'll reach that "getting up from the floor" goal sooner than with weight loss alone, I suspect (even though exercise is optional, strictly speaking, if the *only* goal is weight loss).

Best wishes for success in weight loss, and your "getting up from the floor without hands" goal!
  • TealTrinket
    TealTrinket Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to agree this has more to do with strength and flexibility, rather than just weight. I've never had an issue getting up without using my hands. From my highest weight of 165, to my lowest of 124. I am 5'4.5"

I have seen other people my height/weight/age range struggle with doing it though.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can’t do it and I never remember being able to do it as an adult even when I was a fairly low weight. For me it’s not strength it’s lack of flexibility and bad knees. I also can’t sit cross legged on the floor, can’t get anywhere near touching my toes and can’t do all sorts of other things many people take for granted.

Right now I’m about 141 lbs, 5’3” but I don’t think losing weight will make any difference. I also stretch more than many people because I have so many problems caused by overly tight muscles.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    It has to do with musculoskeletal health. Getting down and getting up without using your hands. Apparently it's a test of longevity. So it's kind of a good test of your overall fitness. I'd think having strong legs and some flexibility certainly helps.

I've always been able to do this but then I have always had strong legs
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,593 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a weight/height thing.

I'm ~300lbs, 5'3" so quite obese, and I can do it - even while holding my baby (and without waking him!).
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a weight/height thing.

I'm ~300lbs, 5'3" so quite obese, and I can do it - even while holding my baby (and without waking him!).

Expert parenting haha! Love it!