Weight gain/Water retention

For the past couple of months I’ve been doing everything to gain weight as far as increasing my calories, consuming more protein/carbs, working out, etc. but I’ve been noticing that when I step on the scale the number goes up anywhere from 3-7 lbs. my actual weight is 128lbs but after a day of eating a lot of calories it goes up to 131-135lbs and sometimes more. I did some research and found out that this is called “water retention” but my body doesn’t feel bloated or swell up. I’ve always ate a lot of sodium and never had this issue until now. My goal is to gain at least 10-15 lbs of fat. I’ve tried everything from taking a diuretic to increasing my potassium intake, and with trying to gain weight mostly all foods have sodium in it whether it’s a small or large amount.. Anything else I can try to do that can get the water retention fixed and go back to normally gaining fat weight?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,105 Member
    You don't need to 'fix' water retention, it's a normal biological function to hold more or less water depending on sodium intake, carb intake, stress, exercise, etc.
    Water retention isn't stopping you from gaining fat, it's just masking it on the scale.

Furthermore, your weight gain after eating more is probably not (just) water retention, but also an increase in food waste in your digestive tract.

Many people have jumps in their weight after exercise and eating a lot, it doesn't mean something is wrong.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Weigh yourself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach after performing your morning glory. Itll give you the most accurate updates. Water weight Is good. It keeps your joints hydrated..trust me you dont want to dump all your water. Try drinking more water, you may be dehydrated frequently and your body is trying to hold onto it. The more you drink the more you will piss out.