Gatorade Zero Sugar

Options
Does anyone have thoughts on Gatorade Zero? I'm wondering if it's a decent thing for me to drink, or if it's no better than drinking a diet pop. I don't do hard workouts (my exercise ranges from a 30 minute walk to an hour and a half hike) so I don't think I really need the electrolytes, but I like having something to drink besides water (which I also drink plenty of).

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    amart4224 wrote: »
    Does anyone have thoughts on Gatorade Zero? I'm wondering if it's a decent thing for me to drink, or if it's no better than drinking a diet pop. I don't do hard workouts (my exercise ranges from a 30 minute walk to an hour and a half hike) so I don't think I really need the electrolytes, but I like having something to drink besides water (which I also drink plenty of).

If you enjoy the taste, go for it. If you are worried about the "electrolytes", as long as you have 2 working kidneys, you will just urinate them out.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think "no better than drinking a diet pop" is a kind of loaded statement. Is it better for you than drinking a diet soda? Probably not. But why does it have to be? Diet soda is a perfectly okay thing to drink and so is Gatorade Zero.

If your enjoyment of drinking something besides water keeps you more hydrated, then I would say that's a net positive.

I was mainly worried about all the "scary" stuff I've heard about diet pop, everything from "artificial sweeteners cause cancer" to "drinking sweet things without calories will make you crave sweets even more." So wondered if I ought to try and kick the G Zero habit since I don't need the electrolytes.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't care for G-0. It's a taste thing for me. I do however like G-2. It's hard to find during the pandemic but it is tasty and super low calorie. If you can fit it in then it's fine IMO. I get tired of water sometimes and need something with some taste. That's what I use so that I don't hit one of the Mt. Dew in the fridge.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should try Nuun tablets. They are flavored electrolyte tablets that you put in water. I use them sometimes when I'm feeling dehydrated. I either crack it in half or thirds so it's not as strong/ not as much sugar. Gives nice flavor to water without quite as much sugar as Gatorade etc.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I don't care for G-0. It's a taste thing for me. I do however like G-2. It's hard to find during the pandemic but it is tasty and super low calorie. If you can fit it in then it's fine IMO. I get tired of water sometimes and need something with some taste. That's what I use so that I don't hit one of the Mt. Dew in the fridge.

I thought they were phasing out G2 because they had Gzero now. All I see at the store is Gzero.

I don't drink Gzero, when I drink sports drinks I'm at the gym and I'm looking for some carbs. I know people who drink it for a zero-calorie drink.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    I like Powerade Zero much better in White Cherry flavor.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I like Powerade Zero much better in White Cherry flavor.

The white cherry is good!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt. Drink water tea or coffee
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt. Drink water tea or coffee

Why???? An interested mind wants to know.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I’ve not checked my labels, but have you tried Propel? Flavored water with no calories but not marked as sugar free so so I don’t think it has aspartame or anything.

Crystal Light (and other brands) have packets you can add to water for more flavor if that is helpful.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    I’ve not checked my labels, but have you tried Propel? Flavored water with no calories but not marked as sugar free so so I don’t think it has aspartame or anything.

Crystal Light (and other brands) have packets you can add to water for more flavor if that is helpful.

You are right that Propel does not have aspartame, but any beverage with 0 calories that tastes sweeter than unsweetened seltzer has some sort of non-caloric sweetener added. Propel does use non-caloric sweeteners - 2 to be precise: Acesulfame Potassium and sucralose