Single leg dumbbell RDLs

Options
Doing these for at home workout. Started light, increasing each workout, day after last one I got pain in my right glute and some in lower back too... Don't feel like form was off.. how do you differentiate soreness from pain that's not supposed to be there? How should I progress, if a certain amount of weight causes pain?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would look into your load management.

Increasing weight every day could well be the issue here.

Current evidence suggestis that "form" isn't the problem most people (even so called experts ) feel.

In most cases it's the accumulation of stress of loading without any type of regulation of the load.

What is your means and expectation of progression?

Not knowing your training history hard to answer your last question.

Generally speaking we change variables to allow us to either perform or work with the intent to eventually work back towards performing the intended lift.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The fact that you described it as "pain" not "soreness" is enough to mean you've over done it. Take a few days off (at least for all the muscles involved) and use less weight when you come back. That's probably as good an answer as you're going to get without a doctor.

@Chieflrg is giving you a path to the right answer on a more long term basis. My doctor says there really isn't such a thing as an overuse injury, those are really training load errors. You can do the thing, you just have to build up to it.

Finally, some unsolicited and specific advice. Single leg deadlifts are a fantastic exercise. Don't stop doing them. They have so many benefits! How much weight doesn't really matter for this one, you still get 99% of the benefit with no weight*. SLRDLs are a serious challenge to your balance, they improve your balance, your sense of where your body is in 3D space, they build serious core strength because those muscles have to stabilize you through the movement. If you're going to weight them, a light barbell is better than a heavy dumbbell because it's so much harder to stay in balance for.

* You're doing regular DLs and squats, right? And going heavy on those? I'm not saying weight doesn't matter, I'm saying only for this one movement weight isn't needed to get almost all of the benefit, and you're building strength and mass already so going lighter for these wouldn't hurt you.
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2020
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I guess after this pain goes away, then I'll dial it back.. I was under the impression that as long as the form is correct, and I'm able to hit the goal # of reps, then I should increase (5 lbs) on the next workout, but maybe not the case with RDL it seems....

That is under following a LP style program which isn't sustainable for any period of time past 2-3 months at best.

Also there isn't a universal definition of "correct form" so that is subjective. We expect technique to break to a degree depending on the average intensity and volume dosed. That doesn't mean we shouldn't work on technique, just I wouldn't use it as end all of if we are lifting right or wrong if that makes sense.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Frustrating,, so how do you know when to progress?

When you're not hurting and the movement is clicking.

Also a structured program will have progression incorporated into it. As chief said programs that are based on linear progression only work well for a limited amount of time and with dead new beginners or people just starting up again.

Chief likely works off of percentages of his 1mrs and each workout is focussed on that and accessory movements to compliment his big lifts.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Frustrating,, so how do you know when to progress?

That is dependant on your program or how you chose to dose load as well as recover.

I myself and 95% of those I coach/train use RPE because it allows auto regulation. RIR is basically the same. It is also easier to communicate what is expected or how difficult a certain weight was.

So if we are having a good day, we more than likely would add weight. If a poor day, we would go a bit lower than the target.

It really is going to depend on the desired result in what I'm trying to achieve.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    IOW, rocket science lol
    I've read about RPE and RIR, but they don't make any sense to me. How could I possibly know how many reps I have left in the tank until I actually attempt them? I don't understand this or how it helps in training. But then again, shooting for a certain number of reps doesn't seem to work either beyond a certain point. Seems to be a ceiling of achievable strength... Or others say I just need to eat more, but I've been gaining weight since the beginning of the year, so eating more doesn't seem to work either.

It helps in training because it help us regulates stimulus.

Too much stimulus and we run into recovery issues and can't perform the needed volume to drive adaptation.

Too little stimulus and then there isn't appropriate stress to progress.

Think of it like this. Your goal is to maintain weight. Too much food and the scale increases away from current body weight. Too little and we are eating in a deficit and we actually start to lose muscle.
    We want to find the middle ground of volume, stimulus, and recovery for how a individual responds.

Just like anything skillful, you need to practice to improve. Most my clients undershoot RPE. Meaning they have more left in the tank then they think. It's part of my job to nudge them in the direction until their skill gets better. The learning curve isn't that big with a little help.

Eating more is horrible advise in most cases if we are talking to get your lifts moving unless we ate talking eating in a big deficit. People assume just because you eat more, you become stronger because more weight is moved. Its more complicated than that. It can help but it isn't the main concern.

Most people that have stalled lifts are just lacking enough volume with a appropriate intensity.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    IOW, rocket science lol
    I've read about RPE and RIR, but they don't make any sense to me. How could I possibly know how many reps I have left in the tank until I actually attempt them?

It sounds hard when you put it like that, and of course we don't have a crystal ball, but if you are mindful about how your body is feeling/reacting when you lift, you will get a much more clear idea of this.

For instance, in my set 1 (assuming I am aiming for, say, 8 reps) I would typically be feeling my way into the movement for reps 1 and 2, even if it's something I know how to do. Reps 3 and 4 feel great. I could do them all day. Reps 5 and 6 feel great or good. Slightly revising my plan to do them all day, though. Rep 7 - this feels meaningful all of a sudden. Rep 8 - no, definitely not going to be doing this all day. But I have enough information to decide whether and how to increase reps or weight.

In the past I have exercised on cable machines where failure is a totally easy option (and not embarrassing in a busy gym) to get a feel for what's left in the tank. I try to predict to myself how many reps are left and then see if I'm right. Maybe that might be worth a try to get the feel of it?
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    I wouldn't. I'm sure there is something out there that "might" be okay.

I'm not a fan of cookie cutter programming that isn't tailored to the individuals response or based off their training history.

Any program will work at first. If you add volume it can work longer. Is it appropriate? IDK.

In other words, not enough personal dataand more than likely I rather you seek info on how to program off your training history.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    @Chieflrg I dont think this threads going to go anywhere.

You can for sure make progress with dumbells however they will never compare to a barbell program in regards to strength development.

For hypertrophy that can be great if you have an appropriate level of weights available.

Find a dumbell based program. Stop asking the same question over and over hoping for a different answer. It's not going to change.

Cookie cutter programs can work for beginners and a bit further if you really push the progression.

YES that's the whole point of the RPE system. If you want a weight where at 5 rreps. You have 2 left in the tank. Then itd be an rpe 8.

Your program will dictate what rpe you want that day and you will choose your weight accordingly. Sometimes heavier. Sometimes lighter.

However you cannot just pick a weight and try to force it
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    What non-linear progression program would you recommend for training with dumbbells at home?

I’m not a coach. I’m a lifter of 3 years. Unless you are willing to get a lifting coach, if you are remotely serious about progressing after a linear programme, you need to start doing some reading about programming. I like Eric helms muscle and strength training pyramids. It explains the principles around strength and hypertrophy training including concepts like rpe. It’s well worth the money. If you follow the principles you can make your own programme.

Other good resources include barbell medicine , biolayne and renaissance periodisation.