How do you log non cardio work outs/challenges?

Options
Sometimes I do a resistance training from Hasfit and I'm currently doing the get fit challenge by Chloe Ting which is resistance training too. But how do you log them if you log them?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Depends on the exact nature of the workout, but if you want to use MFP database entries, consider the ones for circuit training, aerobics (there are several), calisthenics, or some of the other proprietary mixed-mode programs. You can scroll through the exercise entries in the database to see what's there. If it's more like standard reps/sets strength with rests between, then the strength training item in the database would be an option.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    when i do circuits with enough weight to be challenging that still allows me to move from exercise to exercise without a break so my heart rate stays up, i use my own created exercise as cardio based on heart rate and use that.

if you're doing hard resistance training, go to exercise and add exercise under strength.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    when i do circuits with enough weight to be challenging that still allows me to move from exercise to exercise without a break so my heart rate stays up, i use my own created exercise as cardio based on heart rate and use that.

if you're doing hard resistance training, go to exercise and add exercise under strength.

Heart rate is still likely to overstate that calorie expenditure, with weight circuits, IMU. This is good, still true even though old:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

Quoting that selectively:
    What about "circuit training"? . . . Using HRMs is still problematic, however, because the inclusion of upper-body lifting movements and the higher resistance (compared to aerobic exercise) means that HRMs will most likely OVERESTIMATE caloric expenditure--by as much as 30%-35%.

Article goes into why.

I'm not saying the overstatement is so big it can't work, because it can. And consistency in exercise estimates is IMO more important than precision accuracy, IMO, in a context where we calorie count and adjust intake based on actual longer-term scale results**. 30-50% off is likely close enough, and like you, I'd consider using that estimate vs. MFP's METS-based one, but probably only if the HRM estimate was lower. (** I grant that truly major, major overestimates of exercise could potentially drive gross intake down dangerously far at an extreme, though, and hinder fueling/nutrition, increase health risk.)