Love cardio...hate strength...what to do?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Yoga is not strength training...doing circuit training DVDs is not strength training. "Strength" training has a specific definition...it's low rep high weight, full body compounds. OP...I think you need to more clearly define what you're looking for because your responses are running the gambit.

Can you gain some strength with yoga? Sure...it will be very modest...it's great for balance, flexibility, and you do get some resistance...but it's not training for "strength." 30Ds and P90X and such are excellent muscular endurance programs...they are not "strength" programs. I know this might be a bit of semantics for some but really...all of these different exercises fall into different categories of fitness. When someone says "strength" training...I go right back to middle school and big *kitten* compound lifts...as heavy as you can go, low rep.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    What I want is stronger muscles so that as I get older I can continue to be active and not frail. I also want to ward off osteoporosis, heart disease,falls and any other problems that afflict us as we get older and don't have good muscle tone. In the short term I want to lose weight and look better too! I used to think I could do all this with just cardio but I'm learning that building muscle maybe is more important.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Wiki has a pretty good summary on Strength Training.
    I'm gonna have to learn more to get more out of my weight room time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    HIIT and Hill sprints.

And just suck it up and lift the weights. You'll love it eventually, especially when you see how much faster you can run and hike.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    HIIT and Hill sprints.

And just suck it up and lift the weights. You'll love it eventually, especially when you see how much faster you can run and hike.

I would get into some HIIT stuff.

It can very easily be cardio based strength training.. it's what I like to do- I hate pure cardio- I love doing strength training... but time was an issue for me. So I would do HIIT style lifting- got the best of everything THEN the time I needed to go dance. Win Win for everyone.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    As you get older cardio keeps you healthy but strength keeps you happy...
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    I have the same issues... but a good place to start is with Biggest Loser or Jillian's DVDs. They are a challenge. I also use my Wii Active. Does a good mix of both strength, cardio, and core building.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You really dont HAVE to do anything that you dont like and aren't worried about the benefits of strength training.
    But You are your own gym is a decent place to start to try it out.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    If you don't have access to weights, this program (it's a book), is a great starting place. It's written by the guy who wrote "You Are Your Own Gym", but it's aimed at beginners. I've been very pleased with the results so far.

No equipment needed - it's body weight strength training. (I think you get faster results with weights, but this is good if weights are not an option for you)

0345528972.jpg?altimages=true&width=310&quality=85&maxheight=310&lang=en&z=110032434
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Book: Strong Curves. Just came out this year and it has everything you need in it. Programs for home or gym are in there.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Jillian Michaels has some really great strength building DVD programs - all you need is a pair of hand weights.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    I'm on your same boat. I do a 1 hour "gym" workout 4 times a week. I lost my first 40 lbs with just cardio. Though I feel I look great, I want to avoid that "cardio loss" look that I see sometimes, I decided to add 20 min of weights after my 40 min of cardio, You can still have cardio be the bulk of a workout, just find machines you want to work on and do 3 sets of 10 reps per each. I do mainly arms, and a little bit of legs. I just get it over with and move on. I'm a cardio fan too, I just throw it in there and move on lol
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    I'd definitely suggest starting off with just bodyweight exercises. No equipment to buy and there's plenty of exercises available online for free to try out.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    I love love love running but just started stronglifts 5x5 2 weeks ago and already am feeling stronger and seeing a difference! I procrastinated forever and now realise I should have started sooner! I lift 3 days a week and its just a few different lifts and goes by so quickly.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Do both!!! Circuit training with active recovery. Google body weight exercises, circuit training at home/on the road, body weight... you'll find something that will work.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    What I want is stronger muscles so that as I get older I can continue to be active and not frail. I also want to ward off osteoporosis, heart disease,falls and any other problems that afflict us as we get older and don't have good muscle tone. In the short term I want to lose weight and look better too! I used to think I could do all this with just cardio but I'm learning that building muscle maybe is more important.

Then you want to lift heavy.
  • Blogilates on YouTube! My favorite! I usually do 2 or 3 short videos after my run and I feel amazing and strong!
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    look up bodyrocktv They have a new at home cardio/strength workout every day and it is free!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    I also hate lifting, but when I sprained the ligament in my knee, I had to cut back on the cardio.
    It's a love/hate relationship. I love the results of it, but I hate doing it.
    Bleh.
  • Genette38
    Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
    I also like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's still my favourite work out DVD. If you can get to a class, Body Pump is brilliant fun and very effective. I morn the loss of a gym where Body Pump is on offer.