Couch potato to 5k runner app

I downloaded this app a while ago and I would start and stop for some one reason usually well I’ve been using for about 4 days straight I know your supposed to do it every couple days but I’ve been just doing the first day running activity over again each day so I’m building up to next day..I’ll probably start the next day or level up to the next day for today. Sometimes I feel self conscious running out side when everyone is walking but I love the way it makes me feel ..I was wondering if anyone saw really good results with this app? How long does it take to see results ? I also have been trying to eat less not counting calories though but less sugary drinks which I used to have every day

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    By results, do you mean the ability to run farther? That's what the app is designed to do.

There are many people who have successfully completed programs like this. It's actually how I got started running.

If by "results," you mean weight loss, that is only going to happen if you're also creating a calorie deficit. It's possible that running can help you create a calorie deficit, but if you aren't counting calories it can be harder to do.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    If your goal is to become a runner, results will happen over several months.

If your goal is weight loss, you also need to weight and track your foods. Running can help achieve a deficit, but if you don’t know how many calories you are eating, you don’t know how much of a deficit (if any) running will achieve
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    I started out with the couch to 5k app 10 years ago and I’m still running and loving it! Keep going with it, repeat weeks if you feel you need to and it will work.

I love running now for the opportunity to think and work out things in my brain, for mental clarity and to feel alive! I don’t use running as a tool for weight loss now to be honest, its much more than that.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I went from using that program to running half marathons within a year or so many years ago. It's a fantastic tool if you are interested in running. I went from hating running to being borderline obsessed. Unfortunately I tore a tendon in my hip a few years ago that put a rapid halt to my running career - I miss is. I sometimes toy with the idea of starting again with the C25k app, but my hip has very low tolerance for running these day. :'(
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I have done C25K three times - once in 2011, then 2018 and 2019 (had a couple surgeries inbetween and lost all gains). I always have to repeat week 4? Maybe 5? There was one with a significant jump that got me. I did it as planned with break in between - you don’t want to overdo it, an injury coupdmsideline you long term, or make runs more painful than they need to be (I am very prone to shin splints and have to be mindful and careful). Up until a medical procedure last week I was working my way through a half marathon training program, but they canceled the race so I have lost a bit of motivation. I went from heaving through the early weeks of C25K to now running 8-9 miles non stop and not feeling like I am going to die :lol:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    Take rest days. Running stresses a lot of joints, tendons and ligaments and it takes time for your body to get strong enough to be able to run every day. A lot of people start out enthusiastic and then get injured because they do too much too soon. You can try run/walk one day and just walking the next, but don't run every day right now.

I started with C25k and ended up a marathoner. It took a while to get there, because I did too much too soon and got injured (pelvic stress fracture) so had to start over - twice. But I did get stronger and faster and eventually was a runner. It did help me lose weight, and maintain my weight loss, but it takes a while before you are running enough to burn significant calories. Until then, focusing on diet will get you where you want to be.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    All things take time to achieve. I've tried it a few times and hate running so now I listen to zombies run while weightlifting because I do enjoy the story. Incidentally their version of c25k has some stretches etc added in.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Please follow the program as laid out in the app. Don’t do back to back days or you’ll risk injury and burnout. It’s ok to repeat days or weeks, but not in a row. The app took me from never runner to 5k in the time promised.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited August 2020
    For some reason I couldn’t get it to work. I forget why. Something with the timer.

So I eventually did my own version of it, having not run since forced in 7th grade which was well over forty years ago.

To my utter amazement, it worked. I’m not one of those who loves running, but, it spins my movement dial, adds to my calories, and I still marvel at the satisfaction of telling myself “Damn, girl, look what you just did”.

I can regularly run 5k and in fact, if I can get off this stupid phone that’s what I intend to do this morning.

My best advice: make sure you have proper footwear before you start. Thick socks (Balega socks changed my life) and shoes professionally fitted at a running store (worth their weight in gold) saved my feet and toenails. AND knees and shoulders, because I kept tripping *badly* and *painfully* in poorly fitting shoes.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I did C25K in 2016, going from zero to running a 5k in about 10 weeks. I ran 3 days a week, as laid out in the app. Then in 2017 I did 8 or so 5k races and one 10k. It definitely worked as a solid start for me when I needed a plan to get going.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    For some reason I couldn’t get it to work. I forget why. Something with the timer.

So I eventually did my own version of it, having not run since forced in 7th grade which was well over forty years ago.

To my utter amazement, it worked. I’m not one of those who loves running, but, it spins my movement dial, adds to my calories, and I still marvel at the satisfaction of telling myself “Damn, girl, look what you just did”.

I can regularly run 5k and in fact, if I can get off this stupid phone that’s what I intend to do this morning.

My best advice: make sure you have proper footwear before you start. Thick socks (Balega socks changed my life) and shoes professionally fitted at a running store (worth their weight in gold) saved my feet and toenails. AND knees and shoulders, because I kept tripping *badly* and *painfully* in poorly fitting shoes.

The bolded part = life changer. I use feetures socks. Saved my you know what on those rainy half marathon days.