Faith and religion

Options
I became a Christian recently, really struggling were do I start when it comes to reading the bible do I start from genius or elsewhere. Thankyou in advance 🙏

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I always start books at the beginning, but if there is a chapter or verse that has spoken to you there's nothing wrong with starting there.
  • joolspen3942
    joolspen3942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    I always start books at the beginning, but if there is a chapter or verse that has spoken to you there's nothing wrong with starting there.

Thankyou.. I usu6would start from there but I have heard to start at all different places I'm literally like just dont know. If you read the bible one of my favourite ones is Matthew 6 v 26 Dont not worry.. it's such a lovely chapter 🤗
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have the Olive Tree bible app. It has a reading plan you can use that will walk you through daily readings. I like it quite a bit. Most daily readings are a little Old Testament and a little New Testament.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's worth remembering that the Bible is made up of lots of different books that have been gathered together.
    And of course the Old Testament was written many years before the New Testament.

So you start wherever it makes most sense to you.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My vote would be the gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are the foundation of the New Testament, and the revealing of the Old. There is some repetition between books but all have their own unique details.
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    I have the Olive Tree bible app. It has a reading plan you can use that will walk you through daily readings. I like it quite a bit. Most daily readings are a little Old Testament and a little New Testament.

Awww ok cool. I've check that out thanks so much for your help🙏
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    It's worth remembering that the Bible is made up of lots of different books that have been gathered together.
    And of course the Old Testament was written many years before the New Testament.

So you start wherever it makes most sense to you.

True thankyouxx
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    My vote would be the gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are the foundation of the New Testament, and the revealing of the Old. There is some repetition between books but all have their own unique details.

Okay .. I've been told that so I kinda started at john. I just want to be able to read it and it to make sense thankyou @moonangel12
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Start wherever you want. There is no right or wrong answer. You’re way overthinking
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Romans...definitely the best place for a new Christian to start...it kind of gives you the basics. Congratulations on the best decision you've ever made! 🤍
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    Start wherever you want. There is no right or wrong answer. You’re way overthinking

I probably am. Thanks
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Okay .. I've been told that so I kinda started at john. I just want to be able to read it and it to make sense thankyou @moonangel12
    What translation are you using? I know opinions can get heated on this topic, but my personal opinion is the best translation is the one you read. There are newer ones that flow more easily than some of the older ones, or ones that are more word for word.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Develop some questions. Look for answers.

Some ideas:

1) What is the foundation of Salvation?
    2) Who is God to me?
    3) What is expected of me now?
    4) What role, if any, does Baptism play in my walk?
    5) Who are the main figures of the Bible and what are their stories?
    6) What do I hear others saying that I do not fully understand yet?

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Read the 4 gospels
    - Who does Jesus say he is? Why did he come? Why did he die? Do you believe?

Read The book of Acts
    - What is the Church? Why did it start? How does it function?

Read Genesis
    - Who is God (God declares himself. We do not guess or define him)? Where do we come from? Why did we need Jesus to come? What's the deal with Israel anyways?

Fo help with Genesis visit Answers In Genesis https://answersingenesis.org/creation/

And...
    Make sure you know the Gospel

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 NKJV — Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that
    - Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that
    - He was buried, and that
    - He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's worth remembering that the Bible is made up......

Is that mean of me? :/
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    Romans...definitely the best place for a new Christian to start...it kind of gives you the basics. Congratulations on the best decision you've ever made! 🤍

Awwwwww thankyou so much yes I am new , I became a Christian when I was a child then one thing and another drifted away my mums always been a born again Christian she sadly passed away last week and I knew this was my time all the times shes told me about god this is my time now to actually accept him into my life, she wasnt afraid of dying her testimony the way she lived and passed spoke to me and made me realise the only way to live and to really live is through christ. I'm blessed thankyou so much for ur reply🙏🙏🙏❤
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that the Bible is made up......

Is that mean of me? :/

Up to you if you think its mean what do u think .
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Read the 4 gospels
    - Who does Jesus say he is? Why did he come? Why did he die? Do you believe?

Read The book of Acts
    - What is the Church? Why did it start? How does it function?

Read Genesis
    - Who is God (God declares himself. We do not guess or define him)? Where do we come from? Why did we need Jesus to come? What's the deal with Israel anyways?

Fo help with Genesis visit Answers In Genesis https://answersingenesis.org/creation/

And...
    Make sure you know the Gospel

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 NKJV — Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that
    - Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that
    - He was buried, and that
    - He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Thankyou. I'm a new Christian who is a bit clueless right now and slightly delicate thankyou for your brilliant reply🙏🙏🙏
  • gladz2014
    gladz2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just start from the beginning and read through but I use the daily bible in chronological order. It helps put things in time and has flow and explanations.
    Other than that for new Christians, I would say read the gospel of John.
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Develop some questions. Look for answers.

Some ideas:

1) What is the foundation of Salvation?
    2) Who is God to me?
    3) What is expected of me now?
    4) What role, if any, does Baptism play in my walk?
    5) Who are the main figures of the Bible and what are their stories?
    6) What do I hear others saying that I do not fully understand yet?

Thankyou lovely for it reply I'm absolutely overwhelmed that I'm getting help, I'm a new Christian my mum would usually answer all my questions but she sadly passed last week, so thought I'd throw it out there to see if people could help me thankyou