How do you celebrate without food?

2»

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    For a big celebration (such as a raise - congratulations) it is champagne.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Buy myself something cool. Sometimes just a new t-shirt that is in my new (smaller) size is enough to reward myself!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I am always on the go, either working, cleaning the house, helping the kids, grocery shopping, etc. I never take time for myself. So, for me laying on the sofa and watching a movie with a bowl of healthyish popcorn is a huge luxury and a treat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't "celebrate" w/food and only moderately w/booze.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @lgfrie I still have your post about alcohol up in the marquee lights. The wine sabotage. Cross-addiction or coaddiction, trading in food for alcohol or shopping or gambling or gasp, even exercise addiction or love addiction.

I have a theory about those old neural pathways, deep grooves in the brain. I know we can make new ones but I don't know if we can ever get rid of those old ones. They just lay back in the weeds and wait for their time to pounce like a predator for its' prey. Sneaky snakes.

When I ate it all back the first go-around, I had to dig down deep to the roots of what was really eating me. I was eating all my emotions away. Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Mostly nothin'. After all, there's a reason they don't have any biggest loser reunion shows. They ate it all back.

This time, I'm doing everything differently. I can't eat it back this time. We can't depend on others to constantly prop us UP. It's too exhausting and they have their own life to live. I like hearing about you and the wife. How you're doing everything. It's sounds really fun.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    joolsmd wrote: »
    Plants! Either houseplants or for my garden. Since lock-down I have become a crazy plant lady :)

Come join the garden thread!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10708195/garden-thread/
  • stormbaby
    stormbaby Posts: 23 Member
    i've really been thinking about this thread. i think the best ways to celebrate something are personal - i bet no one else on this thread would love to get a short scale stingray bass, but i'd be thrilled. and then i could celebrate that raise or event over and over by playing that bass.

I'm not keen on shortscale myself, but there is a Warwick Corvette 5 I've had my eye on for a long while ;)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

Finding the threshold for celebration is probably necessary given your comment but in the grand scheme of pursuing weight loss and/or health, an occasional meal or treat doesn't make or break your goals; it's what you choose to do the other 95%+ of the time. I'm a big fan of the 80/20 rule - if you're make the choice that contributes to your goals 80% of the time and allow for a 20% "failure" rate for sanity the thinking is that you're more likely to do that consistently for a longer term than attempting to be overly restrictive 100% of the time.

Agree with this. The collective "we" have gotten to the point almost anything is an occasion to celebrate (not talking about the OP's raise, congrats).

Can be an issue with some when the celebrations involve food or other excesses.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I'd celebrate a raise with buying something new to wear to work. Then again I use shopping the way some use food I think. I just like shopping
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @lgfrie I still have your post about alcohol up in the marquee lights. The wine sabotage. Cross-addiction or coaddiction, trading in food for alcohol or shopping or gambling or gasp, even exercise addiction or love addiction.

I have a theory about those old neural pathways, deep grooves in the brain. I know we can make new ones but I don't know if we can ever get rid of those old ones. They just lay back in the weeds and wait for their time to pounce like a predator for its' prey. Sneaky snakes.

When I ate it all back the first go-around, I had to dig down deep to the roots of what was really eating me. I was eating all my emotions away. Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten. Mostly nothin'. After all, there's a reason they don't have any biggest loser reunion shows. They ate it all back.

This time, I'm doing everything differently. I can't eat it back this time. We can't depend on others to constantly prop us UP. It's too exhausting and they have their own life to live. I like hearing about you and the wife. How you're doing everything. It's sounds really fun.

Thanks for the kind words :)

We look at the brain stuff the same general way, for sure. I strongly believe that even if I get to some perfect and thinnish weight like 180 (I'm male, 5'11"), which will never happen but let's just say it did, that I would still be an obese person at heart. Those neural "FEED ME NOW" pathways will always be there. Every once in a while I have a ferocious binge and while I always regret it and wish it didn't happen, it's almost good in a way that it does, because it reminds me of what I am and what I need to control. There are people who just don't give a F about food, don't really want much of it, don't think about it a lot, don't need any calorie counting or logging because they just eat the right amount, and I am never, ever, ever going to be one of them. My neural pathways are cut in stone; they are never going to reorganize themselves just because I want them to.

I think they did have a biggest loser reunion show!! You might be able to find the vids on Youtube; I think I've seen a couple. Most did gain the weight back; a few didn't. Thinking about it, The Biggest Loser shows both sides of the diet challenge: It is very possible to lose a lot of weight, but exceedingly, painfully, immensely difficult to become a different person.

I'm currently on a diet break. I guess Covid-19 finally wore me down. Too much time on my hands and not a lot to do. I toughed it out for months and did pretty well diet wise, but we did start slipping and I gained a few pounds back. I saw the writing on the wall - it was going to be a binary thing, either try to push through with the calorie deficit and watch it all fall apart in late night binges, or back off and get into maintenance mode for a while. So far so good. Not losing, but not gaining either. I'll take it.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Confetti works, as long as someone else cleans it up. :)
    Congratulations on your raise!!
  • xayles
    xayles Posts: 32 Member
    New nail polish. Or a new charm for a bracelet for every stone you lose