Strength and repetitions used

Options
As I get older I find that my body can’t handle heavy weights. I Have everted to a program of 40% cardio, 30% weight training and 40% yoga. For my weight training I am doing 15-20 reps per set with an effort to stay closer to 20.

I find myself enjoying this approach more but I am wondering will I gradually lose strength using this approach.

Any thoughts welcome.

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    you aren't less strong because you're older - you're less strong because our muscles get weaker if we don't use them for heavier tasks.

how much effort do you put into those 15 to 20 reps? that's the key. to build muscle, you need to work the muscle, then eat enough protein to rebuilt it.

i warm up with a set of 16 to 20, increase the weight for my second set so i can do around 12, then for the third set, i increase the weight so i can do about 8 reps; if i can do more, next time i up the weight 2 1/2 to 5 pounds for that last set. btw, i'm 63, and i've just increased to weight for a couple of my exercises again, which was so cool :)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    There are experienced coaches on here that may well drop in and reply, but it depends on what you mean by lose strength. Ultimately the best way to train for a heavy deadlift (for example) is to lift heavy. But high reps of lighter weight can be great for hypertrophy, and if you feel heavy weights are not for you, then lighter weights are so much better than no weights.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As said, lighter weights are better than 0 weights, BUT if I can do more than 10 reps of anything, I know it’s time for me to up the weight. I push myself as hard as I can without injury (and harder if my hubby is around to offer a spot).

If your goal is strength, then you should lift heavier. Higher reps, low weight is good for muscle endurance, BUT if you are trying to get stronger/build more muscle, lower reps higher weight would be the way to go. SO... it depends on your goals...

That said, as already mentioned, if trying to build muscle, you will also need to make sure you are getting sufficient protein to build muscle.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    you aren't less strong because you're older - you're less strong because our muscles get weaker if we don't use them for heavier tasks.

how much effort do you put into those 15 to 20 reps? that's the key. to build muscle, you need to work the muscle, then eat enough protein to rebuilt it.

i warm up with a set of 16 to 20, increase the weight for my second set so i can do around 12, then for the third set, i increase the weight so i can do about 8 reps; if i can do more, next time i up the weight 2 1/2 to 5 pounds for that last set. btw, i'm 63, and i've just increased to weight for a couple of my exercises again, which was so cool :)

Please explain sarcopenia
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

Lack of activity is a key factor in sarcopenia. It is not that you CANT build muscle when you are older. Just like weight loss, it becomes HARDER as you age, but that is NOT the same as something being impossible. Also, the OP didn’t even say how old they are. They could be 30 or they could be 70.

As shown by the poster who is in their 60s, you can still build muscle and get stronger when older...

You might want to check out this link that talks about the direct correlation between activity level and sarcopenia:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4269139/#idm139717159739168title

• supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Thanks for the feedback
    I’m 50.
    I want to be lean and have muscle tone but not big muscles. So I am wondering if I will end up losing strength and have smaller toned muscles with this type of regimen.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Hi there
    Thanks for the feedback
    I’m 50.
    I want to be lean and have muscle tone but not big muscles. So I am wondering if I will end up losing strength and have smaller toned muscles with this type of regimen.

Well, if it was easy to get big muscles, way more men would be huge lol.

I wouldn’t worry about getting “big muscles” at all. You might not gain any noticeable muscle tone either with such a high rep workout. I would definitely still recommend lifting heavier/less reps. Obviously that doesn’t mean if you do 15 lbs 20 reps now to attempt 50 lbs 6-8 reps tomorrow. It’s take some trial and error to find a weight that is challenging without it being too heavy. Then as it gets easier, you increase the weight.

I promise that you won’t get big muscles. 😜
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Ha I better not 🤠
  • zebasschick
    Options
    Hi there
    Thanks for the feedback
    I’m 50.

don't worry - working out with weight won't give you big muscles unless you spend a LOT of time at it and lift very heavy. i have a friend who's a huge female bodybuilder. she works out HARD about 30+ hours a week to build and those huge muscles. i didn't build muscle like that even when i was at the gym 6 days a week.

• Dogmom1978
    Options
    Hi there
    Thanks for the feedback
    I’m 50.

don't worry - working out with weight won't give you big muscles unless you spend a LOT of time at it and lift very heavy. i have a friend who's a huge female bodybuilder. she works out HARD about 30+ hours a week to build and those huge muscles. i didn't build muscle like that even when i was at the gym 6 days a week.

Your body builder friend also has to eat a lot of protein and very carefully balanced meals to get large muscle. It isn’t just about lifting. Again, if it was, huge men everywhere 😜
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Good I don’t want to be big lol
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Thank you for such a kind well-thought out reply
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @claireychn074 asked a very pertinent question which I didn't see an answer to.

What do you mean by losing strength?
    What does strength mean to you - strong enough to do what?

(The thread seems to have taken a detour into muscle size / muscle gain / muscle loss which wasn't part of the original question.)

There's two strong personal trainers at my gym. One is a power lifter and one is a body builder. While both in general population terms would be regarded as strong their strength is very different (as is their training).
    My son works in construction and can run wheel barrows of aggregate all day long but he wouldn't impress in the gym lifting extreme weights for a few reps.

"As I get older I find that my body can’t handle heavy weights."
    Can you expand on this too?
    In what way, what happens?
    Under what circumstances?

I have found as I get older that I need to train smarter and old joint injuries need more care, recovery is slower but low rep / heavy weight is still part of my lifting at 60YO.
  • zebasschick
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Hi there
    Thanks for the feedback
    I’m 50.

Your body builder friend also has to eat a lot of protein and very carefully balanced meals to get large muscle. It isn’t just about lifting. Again, if it was, huge men everywhere 😜

she eats mad protein - probably 200 grams a day, and she eats some every couple hours.

• supercpa999
    Options

When I was younger (late teens to late thirties) I lifted heavy weights and used low reps (never really going above 5 reps usually often using a pyramid approach with one set per exercise going to failure).

Now whenever I attempt to lift heavy I usually end up either frustrated or getting injured. Lol I have aches and pains often that remind me I’m not in my twenties anymore. Hence, this approach to training isn’t interesting anymore. I really don’t care about my strength. I want to feel physically good and have good flexibility and mobility.

That’s why I want to train with high reps and low weights. So I was wondering in that context if I would see some decreases in muscle size and strength over a long period of time while I am still actively using progressive resistance but using it in a much different way.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

When I was younger (late teens to late thirties) I lifted heavy weights and used low reps (never really going above 5 reps usually often using a pyramid approach with one set per exercise going to failure).

Now whenever I attempt to lift heavy I usually end up either frustrated or getting injured. Lol I have aches and pains often that remind me I’m not in my twenties anymore. Hence, this approach to training isn’t interesting anymore. I really don’t care about my strength. I want to feel physically good and have good flexibility and mobility.

That’s why I want to train with high reps and low weights. So I was wondering in that context if I would see some decreases in muscle size and strength over a long period of time while I am still actively using progressive resistance but using it in a much different way.

Thanks for any feedback.

Going to failure too often is far more likely to be the cause of the aches and pains rather than anything else.
    age can be a factor in that when you are younger you can tolerate and recover from a bad training style, excessive stress/poor load management better - the alternative of course is not to train badly in the first place!
    When I did a custom program to get my bench press back to where I was in my 20's I went to failure once every 6 weeks.

High rep can be effective for hypertrophy, perhaps at the cost of some training efficiency - bearing in mind the training volume and stress required for muscle maintenance is a lot less than for muscle building you shouldn't see muscle atrophy. My experience in my 50's was that avoidance of injury became far more importnant as recovery from injury is longer and loss of strength quicker when unable to train. Definitely don't keep hurting yourself and yes you should enjoy what you are doing but flipping to high rep only training is just one possible solution.

Will you lose low rep strength (1RM to 3RM for example) by not training in those rep ranges - probably, purely not practicing that skill has an effect. But that doesn't seem to be a concern to you.
    There's other options open to you but the fears over muscle loss shouldn't stop you trying this option is you think it will make it more enjoyable for you.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I live in a seniors community with a fitness center, pool, and trainers. The trainer has me doing two reps of 12 (24 reps) of each exercise on five machines (total 6 x 2 x 12 total). She has me adjusting the weight so that the last of each 24 should seem almost too hard to do but not painful. With just these few minutes (about 10-15) of doing this and a 1/2 hour of water walking on alternate days I am feeling a heck of a lot stronger than I was. (Oh, and the walk back and forth to the fitness center which is about 0.7 miles round trip.) I'll be 70 in January. No danger of big muscles.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »

Lack of activity is a key factor in sarcopenia. It is not that you CANT build muscle when you are older. Just like weight loss, it becomes HARDER as you age, but that is NOT the same as something being impossible. Also, the OP didn’t even say how old they are. They could be 30 or they could be 70.

As shown by the poster who is in their 60s, you can still build muscle and get stronger when older...

You might want to check out this link that talks about the direct correlation between activity level and sarcopenia:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4269139/#idm139717159739168title

Yes, I'm 53 and have done high reps/low weight, low reps/high weights, pyramids, bodyweight, etc., and the biggest factor for me losing strength is long periods of no strength training at all.
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback, I appreciate it.