Update (diabetes diet)

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
So for anyone who remembers, my primary care doctor had tried me on a vegan diet as a way to control diabetes. That was a disaster and sent my blood sugar up high. I went to an endocrinologist to find out specifically what was going on. It turns out that with my issue, having type 2 diabetes, I do produce insulin but I release it much too late. I'm not very insulin resistant, but it just isn't there right after eating when it's needed. So the carby vegan diet was a bust. I am back to low carbing on the endocrinologist's instructions. I shoot for 50 carbs a day and plenty of protein, plus avoiding grains, starchy veg like tubers and beans, high sugar fruits and anything highly processed such as white flour.

It's kind of restrictive, but it does work. This way I can keep to the diabetic guidelines of blood sugar not exceeding 180 after meals. We discussed medication but she decided that it would cause a lot of sugar crashes and not work as well as just eating low carb and working out.

I am learning how to do things with almond flour. It makes very nice pancakes but terrible pizza crust! Anyone who has good almond flour ideas/recipes, I'm interested!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    So for anyone who remembers, my primary care doctor had tried me on a vegan diet as a way to control diabetes. That was a disaster and sent my blood sugar up high. I went to an endocrinologist to find out specifically what was going on. It turns out that with my issue, having type 2 diabetes, I do produce insulin but I release it much too late. I'm not very insulin resistant, but it just isn't there right after eating when it's needed. So the carby vegan diet was a bust. I am back to low carbing on the endocrinologist's instructions. I shoot for 50 carbs a day and plenty of protein, plus avoiding grains, starchy veg like tubers and beans, high sugar fruits and anything highly processed such as white flour.

It's kind of restrictive, but it does work. This way I can keep to the diabetic guidelines of blood sugar not exceeding 180 after meals. We discussed medication but she decided that it would cause a lot of sugar crashes and not work as well as just eating low carb and working out.

I am learning how to do things with almond flour. It makes very nice pancakes but terrible pizza crust! Anyone who has good almond flour ideas/recipes, I'm interested!

So essentially, you are close to keto. I would recommend Joe Duff on Youtube. He makes some of my favorite desserts and keto friendly foods. I also am a fan of KetoFocus.

Although, I have started to modify a lot of those recipes. In the low carb group, I post a lot of my meals. You can always ask if you see stuff as interesting.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you so much. I'll see what Mr. Duff has to teach me. I have to learn new ways to do things to prevent the same rotation of 4 or 5 meals. I won't be adding extra fat on purpose the way people on keto tend to do, but yeah, it is close.

That pizza crust was so bad lol. I found a different recipe that includes mozzarella in the crust, might be more appealing than straight up almond flour, egg and oil. That was so.... sandy! It really was like making a sandcastle in the shape of a pizza crust. %(

I picked up a bag of erythritol/monk fruit to go in my coffee and almond pancake batter. Odd stuff. It tastes kind of.... cold. The way mint does. I also learned to make strawberry jam with chia seeds and monk fruit in place of pectin and sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Great, thank you so much. I'll see what Mr. Duff has to teach me. I have to learn new ways to do things to prevent the same rotation of 4 or 5 meals. I won't be adding extra fat on purpose the way people on keto tend to do, but yeah, it is close.

That pizza crust was so bad lol. I found a different recipe that includes mozzarella in the crust, might be more appealing than straight up almond flour, egg and oil. That was so.... sandy! It really was like making a sandcastle in the shape of a pizza crust. %(

I picked up a bag of erythritol/monk fruit to go in my coffee and almond pancake batter. Odd stuff. It tastes kind of.... cold. The way mint does. I also learned to make strawberry jam with chia seeds and monk fruit in place of pectin and sugar.

I rarely add fats, as I tend to do a leaner version of keto (I run high protein). I use a high fiber bread (647 schmidt). I will use low carb tortillas (mission) to make pizzas and then I make chaffles. Also, birch benders is a good brand for premade powders for pancakes/waffles.

My chaffle recipe (modification from Joe Duff's sweet chaffle recipe)

1 egg
    40g of low fat mozzarella cheese (chopped very thin)
    28g almond flour
    20g of powdered swerve
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum

French toast

b55bq29mfkpc.jpg

Chaffles

1vzof25l45ra.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Birchbenders makes the best Grab N Go omelette. You can throw all of your vege in, too. I make a bread for sandwiches, birchbender cookies and mug muffins or 'cup' cakes. It's a versatile product and it reminds me of my easy-bake oven as a kid. I just keep playing with it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

I would carefully experiment with any of the sweeteners that end with 'TOL' - some of them are known to cause digestive 'distress' in folks that can be as simple as lots of gas and some as bad as explosive bathroom issues...

On the recipe side, there are a lot of recipe ideas that can be found in the keto forum and the low-carber forum as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I remember your post and I'm so glad you were able to get a plan that works better for you!

This is my favorite almond flour recipe. I think the maple syrup might make it a no-go for you, but it works really well when I adjust it for my veganism, so there might be some substitutions you could make for your eating plan: https://runfasteatslow.com/blogs/news/superhero-muffins