Struggling to hit my carbs!

Options
Anyone know of any tips/ foods to help up my carb intake without massively spiking my fat/ sugar levels?

Apart from rice pudding, bananas, sweet potatoes & oats :-)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you need to hit that certain level? Generally, fat and protein are the goals you need to make sure you're meeting. You don't NEED a certain amount of carbohydrates nutritionally (although carbohyrate-rich foods are often high in other nutrients that we need).

If you're sick of bananas, try all the other fruits. Likewise with sweet potatoes, there are dozens and dozens of other vegetables to try. Oats are just one of the many grains out there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is your carb goal?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Add sugar, honey, or syrup to some of your food. I see no reason to overthink it if you need carbs for fueling.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My go-to.

okrewokkbay8.jpeg

Blech. No Gummies!! :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Vegetables. All the vegetables (and whole fruits, like tomato, zucchini, peppers, squash, okra, avocado) are carbs. Any plant, really.

Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, leafy greens (cabbage, lettuce, kale, collard,) root vegetables like carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc. Almost completely carb and most that are not root vegetables are fairly low sugar so won't spike insulin. Plus they are volume foods so will fill you up. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My go-to.

okrewokkbay8.jpeg

MORE FOR ME!!! :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    My go-to.

okrewokkbay8.jpeg

MORE FOR ME!!! :p

I prefer Jelly Beans or Mike n Ikes (old school)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I like Sour Patch Kids, or Mike n Ikes. Today had a couple of tiny tootsie rolls.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The CORRECT answer is Swedish Fish.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    my correct answer is lay's lightly salted potato chips if i don't mind some fat or quaker lightly salted rice cakes, which are quick, easy to eat, easy to weight and almost pure carbs.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    dates, tangerines, beans beans and more beans. oatmeal pancakes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, context is needed -- is there a reason you need more carbs? There's no need to hit MFP's default macros perfectly, and for most there's no harm in going over protein or fat. If there is a reason, that could affect the recommendations.

Good sources of carbs with much fat or protein are fruit (mostly sugar, the exception being avocado, which has a good bit of fat, of course) or anything starchy without added fat (potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains, unsweetened cereal, oats, bread, pasta, other grains, beans and lentils (will have some protein), etc.).