What have you all been doing as far as hair maintenance during lockdown?

Options
RunsWithBees
RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
Due to lockdown the hair salons where I live are still not allowed to operate, it’s been going on almost 6 months and counting (they only recently started to allow outside operations) and the few that are operating outdoors can’t do color because they aren’t allowed to have an outdoor water source to work on clients hair. So I’ve been dyeing my hair myself, it’s been FUN! Thank goodness for YouTube! I’ve been learning a lot about hair and it’s a whole new world of its own! What have you all been doing as far as hair maintenance during lockdown?

Replies

• BrustMannEiner
    BrustMannEiner Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    On my head and face letting it grow, and grow, and grow.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    So professional and pretty.

I'm just letting it grow so now they call me 'Tish. Could be worse, I suppose. Cousin It.

74c03faeacdd6f2454e7b8a80ff57199.png

• MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    your hair looks fantastic!! and the fact you did it at home! *edited this - didn't mean to say your hair LOOKS home done too. oops my bad..* i'd have never been able to achieve this color . it looks really natural.

my daughter has a bob like you and cuts her own hair - you just need a proper set of cutting scissors - a few mirrors to check the back, and cut it dry. if you managed the color - you can do the cut - i'm sure of it!
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    I dyed my hair about 2 weeks ago (I think) before that it had been since February. I have gray hair as well but they werent showing too much. My hair turns chameleon if I don't keep up with the color. I wanted to go lighter but I decided on dark. Your blending technique is amazing. Your hair looks beautiful. That's the color I wanted to have on mine but I would have messed it up as I see now. I have no skill in blending lol
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    My hair has always been low maintenance. I don't colour it and have cut it myself for over a decade. Sometimes I forget to even brush it and it looks fine. Seriously low maintenance hair. I am super lucky
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »
    i'm quite grey now and my roots were BAD. i had very curly and unmanageable hair. i got my husband to take the clippers initially on a 6 attachment. the curls were still all over the map so i ended up going down to a four. after his making a mistake and forgetting to put ANY attachment on a month ago *taking it down to the scalp like a skunk and me crying my eyes out lol*- i'm back to a four attachment with regards to the length. i love it and may not go back to longer hair. :D

I let mine go grey for about 3 months then dyed it purple! If you look real close there are still purple hints in it somewhere, couldn’t get it all out :D and I originally had a short bob and planned to keep it short but then the lockdown happened so now I’m growing it out. You’re so lucky, I’ve always wanted curly hair but mine won’t hold a curl to save its life, a bit of a wave is all I can accomplish. Enjoy your new style! :)
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    On my head and face letting it grow, and grow, and grow.

Awesome! My BF was doing this also and I loved the full beard! But alas, his job requires wearing an N95 mask so he had to shave it for a better fit :( he still has long hair though!
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I dyed my hair about 2 weeks ago (I think) before that it had been since February. I have gray hair as well but they werent showing too much. My hair turns chameleon if I don't keep up with the color. I wanted to go lighter but I decided on dark. Your blending technique is amazing. Your hair looks beautiful. That's the color I wanted to have on mine but I would have messed it up as I see now. I have no skill in blending lol

when my stylist used to color my hair - i couldn't believe she blended the roots so seamlessly and perfectly with the rest of my hair. she never pulled it all the way through to the ends though *which was what i did when i colored my hair years ago*.

it's definitely an art - and stylists will always say their color is better than store bought. however we've seen evidence on many women that it's possible to do your own hair at home .
  • RunsWithBees
    Options

Everything I know about hair I learned on YouTube :D:D:D
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    My hair has always been low maintenance. I don't colour it and have cut it myself for over a decade. Sometimes I forget to even brush it and it looks fine. Seriously low maintenance hair. I am super lucky

That’s awesome, you are very lucky! Over the years I’ve kinda learned that the less I do to my hair the healthier it looks, I used to brush it to death and now just run my fingers or a wide toothed comb through it once in the morning and maybe once or twice throughout the day, I don’t need any more than that, I don’t even own a hairbrush anymore!
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    So professional and pretty.

I'm just letting it grow so now they call me 'Tish. Could be worse, I suppose. Cousin It.

74c03faeacdd6f2454e7b8a80ff57199.png

You have beautiful hair, from what I can see in your profile picture, you’re so lucky! My hair could never get that long! Longest it ever got was to my shoulder blades.
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    My son on the other hand just picked up the clippers and unceremoniously shaved his head :o
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    On weekends or before a date I prefer to use the Greune Natural Revitalizing Shampoo, the conditioner and the Nutrient Complex. These are formulas that contain D-panthenol, a vitamin-B-complex factor; polysorbate 80, a cleansing agent for the scalp; and natural herbs. Over the weekend I plan to go to Bloomingdale’s or Bergdorf’s and on Evelyn’s advice pick up a Foltene European Supplement and Shampoo for thinning hair which contains complex carbohydrates that penetrate the hair shafts for improved strength and shine.
    Also the Vivagen Hair Enrichment Treatment, a new Redken product that prevents mineral deposits and prolongs the life cycle of hair. Luis Carruthers recommended the Aramis Nutriplexx system, a nutrient complex that helps increase circulation.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options

Everything I know about hair I learned on YouTube :D:D:D

I need to escape the realm of music on YouTube and explore other categories 😆
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    My natural hair color is salt and pepper which I do like but I’m not ready to rock quite yet. This time I was going for a caramelized brown but I didn’t want monotone color, I wanted some dimension and depth and didn’t want to end up with a hair disaster. I used 3 different colors and various blending techniques and this was the result I achieved. At least it didn’t turn green! As far as the haircut, I haven’t had a trim since early March so I gotta work with what I got since I don’t dare cut it myself... yet!

ek5b1kefzzfe.jpeg

I think your hair looks great! The colour and styling both.

I cut my own twice (thought I did a great job) saw my stylist at the end of July, finally, she did not agree! She cut it shorter than usual because she's on mat leave now "and doesn't want me cutting it again"!

Oh, and what is that cute little haunted house on the floor? A doll house?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »
    i'm quite grey now and my roots were BAD. i had very curly and unmanageable hair. i got my husband to take the clippers initially on a 6 attachment. the curls were still all over the map so i ended up going down to a four. after his making a mistake and forgetting to put ANY attachment on a month ago *taking it down to the scalp like a skunk and me crying my eyes out lol*- i'm back to a four attachment with regards to the length. i love it and may not go back to longer hair. :D

Ha - the same thing happened to me.

What was going to be a little trim around the ears, turned into a 'Welcome to Parris Island Special'.

(however I didn't cry my eyes out over this, several other things - yes, the haircut - no.)

Anyway, last week I was finally able to have a proper haircut it's back to my normal length.

There were some real benefits to having it all buzzed off; I saved a bundle in haircare products.