I will never understand 1000 calories...

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I will NEVER understand why people choose to starve themselves (ie-1000 calorie diet). It is so much more beneficial to your body and health to eat!

Yes, well, that's why an eating disorder is a "disorder." You wouldn't really be able to understand it, or understand why, "JUST EAT" or "YOU'LL BE HAPPY IF YOU'RE HEALTHIER" is not an approach that will yield anything positive. This would slip on into "disordered eating," too.

On the flip side, if it's someone not unfortunate enough to have that sort of eating pattern, it's very well a product of ignorance. Without any nutritional info whatsoever, someone will think, "If I eat less, I'll lose weight," and 1000 would seem like a reasonable threshold.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    well that didn't work lol tried to quote but it didn't show up! Oh well :)

I can vouch for people not knowing better. I would NEVER eat under 1200 calories per day consistently (I simply can't eat when it's too hot) but MFP told me to eat 1300ish. I did that for a while and was losing weight but I was super tired and I longed for more food. I did my BMR and it gave me another meal's worth of calories. EAT, PEOPLE.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    i will never understand why people feel the need to food shame or calorie shame people.

I will never understand people that shame people for calorie shaming.

I will never understand people that shame people that shame people for calorie shaming.:huh:

shame.gif
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    I'm currently aiming for 1000-1200 calories a day but it's only temporary. My sisters wedding is in a week so I've been doing a drastic calorie cut for the past couple of weeks to prepare. Normally I aim for 1200-1400 calories a day but as long as I eat healthy, I'm not strict about it.

What are you trying to accomplish by undereating for a few weeks? Besides making yourself cranky during an already stressful time.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    I will NEVER understand why people choose to starve themselves (ie-1000 calorie diet). It is so much more beneficial to your body and health to eat! That is why every "diet" I was ever on failed. I am much more healthy, fit and active than I have ever been in my life. And I weigh the least I ever weighed. I am not hungry and very satisfied and I do it eating over 1800 calories a day and eating nearly all of my exercise calories back! I eat more food in one day than I used to eat at my heaviest in 3 or 4 days.

Stop starving yourself! You will be much happier, productive and satisfied.

There's your answer. I think most people who are new to dieting/fitness are skeptical about the whole "eat more to weigh less" concept. Sometimes, some people just need to fail several times before they get it. That's what I'm currently trying to do.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    While for most people a 1000 calorie diet is definitely way too low, there are others who can't eat more than that so it depends on the person. One of my friends doesn't eat more than 1000 calories just naturally. She isn't dieting, she's healthy and most definitely not anorexic. Part of the reason for her low calorie count is because she eats a TON of fruits and veggies, no meats (she opts for soy and beans instead in limited amounts) and almost no processed foods. She eats this big veggie salad for lunch with some dressing every day. I definitely can't go below 1600 calories without getting hangry, but everyone is different. But people definitely shouldn't be going below 1200 calories without consulting their doctor and ensuring that what they do it will give them all the nutrients that their body needs.
  • That is such great advice. I am just starting to understand this and I am 43. Since I have been trying to eat healthier, I find I am so much fuller and satisfied. I haven't been doing it long so I am still craving the junk. I am hopeful that will become less and less as I resist the urge each time and replace it something healthy. Anyway, thanks for your post!! It encouraged me alot!! :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    I'm currently aiming for 1000-1200 calories a day but it's only temporary. My sisters wedding is in a week so I've been doing a drastic calorie cut for the past couple of weeks to prepare. Normally I aim for 1200-1400 calories a day but as long as I eat healthy, I'm not strict about it.

What are you trying to accomplish by undereating for a few weeks? Besides making yourself cranky during an already stressful time.

This is the kind of stuff that I was talking about when I was talking about the 1000 calorie people. I wasn't shaming the people who are anorexics or have other severe ED. Those people are genuinely sick and they need a different kind of help.

Don't go for a quick fix. Go for a long term haul!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Well this thing only says I should eat 1200, that's only a glass of orange juice away from 1000 so maybe that is why people think 1000 is the way to go x

Yes, but most likely even 1200 is too low for you as it is for most people. Since you have so little to lose you should not be looking at losing more than 1lb/week, though I would suggest 0.5, and that you eat back the cals burned from exercise, or if using TDEE method TDEE-10to 15% which would have you higher than 1200 cals anyway. It should be about fat loss, not just weight loss. Not eating enough makes it hard to get all your micros, fiber, and macros to be healthy, and can also lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not just fat.
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Then, why does your profile pic say "Dieting Sucks"? What you're saying is the complete opposite.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Then, why does your profile pic say "Dieting Sucks"? What you're saying is the complete opposite.

It's being ironic.

And I don't even remember the last time I had like strips of pan fried bacon. Now I just have less than a teaspoon of packaged bits in a salad.

And dieting DOES suck. Why would you want to do a diet that is like 100 glasses of grapefruit juice a day for 30 days? Screw that. LIVE TO EAT. EAT TO LIVE. Eat real food and lots of it and you'll be surprised what it can do for you.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    i will never understand why people feel the need to food shame or calorie shame people.

Oh FFS. Calorie-shaming? No. You don't get to take ANY criticism on ANY subject matter, add "shaming" to the end of it, and act like you're a victim. You are CHOOSING to harm your body. You need help.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member

I will never understand people that shame people that shame people for calorie shaming.:huh:

Everyone is invited to the shamber!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member

Oh FFS. Calorie-shaming? No. You don't get to take ANY criticism on ANY subject matter, add "shaming" to the end of it, and act like you're a victim. You are CHOOSING to harm your body. You need help.

Now this is going to get interesting.
  • i will never understand why people feel the need to food shame or calorie shame people.

BACON

Chocolate covered bacon!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Not sure if I should feel shame or if I am shaming...

384_zps5c8e9a43.gif
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member

Now this is going to get interesting.

I give this about 2, maybe 3 more pages before we see a lock
  • shelllord
    shelllord Posts: 43 Member
    Well this thing only says I should eat 1200, that's only a glass of orange juice away from 1000 so maybe that is why people think 1000 is the way to go x

Yes, but most likely even 1200 is too low for you as it is for most people. Since you have so little to lose you should not be looking at losing more than 1lb/week, though I would suggest 0.5, and that you eat back the cals burned from exercise, or if using TDEE method TDEE-10to 15% which would have you higher than 1200 cals anyway. It should be about fat loss, not just weight loss. Not eating enough makes it hard to get all your micros, fiber, and macros to be healthy, and can also lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not just fat.

I always find it hard mentally to eat back cals burnt as I workout so hard and don't enjoy it I just can't get my head around eating them back, this all comes from unhealthy weight loss when I was a lot younger it's just my frame of mind x
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    I don't eat 1000 calories everyday. Some days I eat 900 calories and some days I eat 1700 calories. I would say it probably averages out to be about 1200 a day.

There are some days I am just not very hungry. Other days, usually weight training days, I am starving!

I am very small but also very active and I still MAINTAIN around 1400-1500 calories. It sucks but it is the way it is for me. I can see why some people may want to reduce their calories that low because for me a 500 calorie deficit would be 1000. I'm not agreeing with it. I am just saying I understand why people think they need to do it.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    I started as one of those people, and now I'm in the process of slowly increasing my intake due to my exercise level. I know my diary probably scares people, but I'm working on it!
This discussion has been closed.