How to improve cycling speed and time?

Options
My husband got me a new bike because I was wearing the one I found at a yard sale out.
It's a 18 speed and I'm used to riding a 21.
I like using map my ride and seeing how fast I can do my usual route. It's motivating...
With the 21 speed I did the route in 52 minutes. I started at 58 since using the app but shaved off time as I did it more. It takes me 52 minutes now.
But when I did the route with my new bike-a 18 speed-it took me an hour and 7 minutes. What happened? Is it because the bikes are different? Was I tired?
I'm also learning how to use the gears on my new one as it's different from the other one. Any advice on that?
Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The whole bike is different and not just the gear set.

If I did the same loop under identical conditions I'd expect my MTB to be slower than my hybrid, my hybrid to be slower than my standard road bike. My best road bike with carbon wheels and better wheel bearings would be faster again.

Tyres, riding position, wheels, bearings, riding position, weight - all make a difference.
    Was the wind strength and direction the same?
    Total time or moving time different? (A few stops make a big difference to average speeds and total time.)

Use the gears to stay in an efficient cadence range (80 - 100rpm typically). Advice would be to think ahead about the gradient you are riding on and keep practising. Don't grind, spin. Don't cross chain. If you know you will have to get in the lower chainring for a hill don't wait until your cadence drops too low and you run out of gears in the big chainring.

"Was I tired?" - erm..... Were you? :smile:

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Fully agree with the above. All the changes of a different bike add up, and even the small things that can be adjusted for fit matter. Your position on the bars can be a really big change in aero aspects.

As for getting used to new gearing, it takes a little time to adjust to when it's best to shift based on your pace, power, conditions, and goals. I found that for a long time I was actually wasting too much energy on acceleration events from slow downs and stops, when in fact the energy was better spent keeping a slightly higher pace once spinning and moving forward again with no interruptions.

Give it some time to get used to the new bike, and adjust for fit and comfort.
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If I did the same loop under identical conditions I'd expect my MTB to be slower than my hybrid, my hybrid to be slower than my standard road bike. My best road bike with carbon wheels and better wheel bearings would be faster again.

Tyres, riding position, wheels, bearings, riding position, weight - all make a difference.
    Total time or moving time different? (A few stops make a big difference to average speeds and total time.)

Use the gears to stay in an efficient cadence range (80 - 100rpm typically). Advice would be to think ahead about the gradient you are riding on and keep practising. Don't grind, spin. Don't cross chain. If you know you will have to get in the lower chainring for a hill don't wait until your cadence drops too low and you run out of gears in the big chainring.

So both our bikes are different so we can't really compare the time it takes us to do the same route?
    And gears are different between people? It's what feels right to pedal on the road properly for you so I can't go by the gear my husband goes at? His is usually higher than mine but I can't pedal easy when in that gear
    I guess I'm partly worried there's something wrong with the bike this is the second new bike the first one had a bent wheel so I'm a bit nervous there's something wrong with it or me but it was hot that day very windy and I was kind of tired
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Take it to your lbs have them give it a good shake down.

My tt bike obliterates a lot of my segments but if I take my road bike climbing my times are way different. They're both fancy they just have way different gearing and geometry. One suites for everything one suites for going flat fast and never braking.
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Take it to your lbs have them give it a good shake down.

My tt bike obliterates a lot of my segments but if I take my road bike climbing my times are way different. They're both fancy they just have way different gearing and geometry. One suites for everything one suites for going flat fast and never braking.

We don't have a local bike shop 😔
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

So both our bikes are different so we can't really compare the time it takes us to do the same route?
    And gears are different between people? It's what feels right to pedal on the road properly for you so I can't go by the gear my husband goes at? His is usually higher than mine but I can't pedal easy when in that gear
    I guess I'm partly worried there's something wrong with the bike this is the second new bike the first one had a bent wheel so I'm a bit nervous there's something wrong with it or me but it was hot that day very windy and I was kind of tired

Different bikes will be faster / slower.
    Different people will be faster / slower.
    If you mean can different people pull different gears - yes, there's a vast range of power outputs across cyclists. I'll be producing double what many riders produce and the elite riders will produce double my power.
    Plus different people work best at different cadences, my best average cadence is about 85 rpm but someone I ride with works best at 95+.
    A very windy day will again make a difference, you don't tend to make up the time you lose riding into a strong wind when you turn back and get a tailwind (it's a quirk of aerodynamics).
    Your energy levels could well be down on a very hot day. At 90F or above my performance falls off a cliff.

One ride really isn't much of a comparison.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do more rides on your new bike before getting too concerned! You were getting used to a new set up, new gearing, etc. in the first ride. Mostly, have fun!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    More details would help. Maybe you can post some photos of both bikes. If you know more about them that would help people give you better advice too.

If you pick the bike up off the ground and spin the wheels, do they turn freely? They're not rubbing on anything are they? How much space is there between the rim and the brake pads? What tires are on the new bike?