Broken Fibula

Options
I fell down the stairs and broke my fibula 9 days ago. I've still been weighing myself daily with a leg cast on. My weight has been almost stagnant since the injury happened though. I'm only down one pound.

My question is, could the pain and swelling be causing me retain weight?
I went from 1200 calories a day & walking 12,000 steps a day to 900-1000 calories & completely sedentary. I'm so worried that I won't keep losing while I'm laid up for several months

Replies

• Okaynoomer
    Okaynoomer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I fell down the stairs and broke my fibula 10 days ago. I've still been weighing myself daily with a leg cast on. My weight has been almost stagnant since the injury happened though. I'm only down one pound.

My question is, could the pain and swelling be causing me retain weight?
    I went from 1200 calories a day & walking 12,000 steps a day to 900-1000 calories & completely sedentary. I'm so worried that I won't keep losing while I'm laid up for several months

Edit: I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003. I lost over 100 lbs & kept it off eating far less than 1200 calories per day for 10 years. I gained all of the weight back plus more though, from poor food choices but mostly through liquid calories. I've been sober now for more than 3 years & am now trying to get this weight back off without surgery this time. My bariatric doctor says I should be having 900-1000 calories a day, I can go up to 1200 with exercise.

Also, although I'd love to not worry about losing weight and concentrate on healing now, I don't have that luxury. I have a severe ventral hernia that requires surgery. It is currently scheduled for 10/7 but may have to be pushed back a couple of weeks due to my ankle. My surgeon has told me over & over that I must lose as much weight as possible by surgery day in order to make the operation safer & recovery successful.

Now that I've explained that part, my question is, does having an acute injury like a broken bone with swelling cause you to weigh more (extra fluid or whatever?) Could I be losing fat still but the scale not show it because I'm injured?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

You might be better off asking your doctor for advice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Healing of any type will usually cause water retention. Just even strenuous exercise alone will do this, which is why many people who start a training regimen will "swell" up all the muscles they use to an extent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I think, given your situation, and your low daily calorie requirements, you really need to be working with your doctor through this. They will be able to give you much better advice than anyone on MFP will be able to give you.

So sorry to hear about your injury...hope you get better soon!