Scale is stuck

Options
I’ve only lost 17 pounds and I’ve been logging for 92 days I think. Was eating 1380 calories pretty much the entire time. I haven’t lost for a few weeks but I’ve gained maybe a pound. I just recalculated my calories (my weight now, changed by rate of weight loss to .5 per week) and it gave me 1640 calories. Is that too much? Why would I need more if I lost on less previously? I’m scared that I’m going to lose motivation and blow everything. Help!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Throw all fear out with the bathwater. There's no crying in baseball and there's no fear in weight loss. You're going faster than I've ever gone. I had to fight for every .25 lb like a salmon swimming upstream. I did not encounter a weight loss whoosh that others talk about.

Motivation and willpower are limited resources. They're rooted in emotions. Momentum will take you much further than motivation and willpower ever will. You have momentum. Now keep going. I think you should change your rate to .5 per week and Gut. It. Out.

If you're already talking about blowing everything then it's time to slow this horse down. There's no such thing as the Finish Line. When things go slowly people throw the towel in and eat it all back. That's just the brain throwing another ring-tailed baby fit. Don't give in to it. You don't want to keep starting over and over again for the rest of your life.

You're young, so don't kick off a cycle of endless yoyo dieting. If you get this right you won't ever have to start over again. I am bent on long term weight stability. I've had to start all over again and it took everything I had to pull myself out of that tailspin with food. Don't do it.

Edge your way down slowly. You need to defy that brain and let it really get what you're trying to do. You don't want to simply go through the motions by dieting on autopilot. You want that brain to understand the process as you work through every single day. You'll be glad you did. When you get to the other side of this, you'll have a success story.

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is better than a pound a week!! 17 lbs in 13 weeks is awesome!! Congrats!!

I don’t know how much you need to lose but as you lose you burn less calories doing everyday things because you’re carrying less weight. So the loss becomes a little slower. Imagine if you strapped 17 lbs to yourself and did your normal everyday stuff. Wouldn’t it be a lot harder and use more energy?

Try to think of a lifestyle change rather than a “diet.” You must feel better from the 17 you lost- it must be easier to move around etc. Focus on that and also focus on how much better you’ll feel if you lose another few lbs in the next months!! It didn’t take any of us here a week to gain significant weight and it won’t take a week to lose it either!

Keep it up!! You’re doing great!! There are lots of good ideas here for ways to increase movement and calorie burn, food ideas, eating habit ideas etc. Just keep going!!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Smaller deficit means you need to be very accurate in your logging. Weigh ALL solids, log all you consume, and avoid estimating.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Gaining one pound does not necessarily mean you gained fat. You might have added lean muscle to your overall body weight. Muscle uses more calories so eventually you will start burning fat again as long as you do NOT exceed your caloric needs for weight loss.