“Hidden” Workouts?

Options
41tjfmognl6c.jpeg

So I was mowing my yard with a push mower when I realized that there’s a lot of times we get a workout that never required a trip to the gym 🧐.

I don’t know how accurate the MET method of calculating calorie burn is, but an online calculator put my expenditure around 450 calories for mowing (4.5 MET, 94kg, 1 hour)

Anyone want to share their “hidden” workouts?

I also want to mention I’m trying to get a Saturday-only job at a local grocery store helping them unload trucks...why spend money to workout when you can get paid to do it 👍.

Please post your ideas!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, yard work is great. Digging, weeding, trimming bushes, sweeping and raking, it is a lot of work. I am always wiped out at the end of the day.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it isn't easy finding activities that aren't listed on MFP.

the MFP database has mowing lawn under cardio; it lists mowing lawn as 406 calories per hour. it also lists raking lawn as burning 295 calories an hour. vigorous cleaning listed at 222 calories per hour, moderate cleaning at 185.
  • FitAsaFalafel
    FitAsaFalafel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    it isn't easy finding activities that aren't listed on MFP.

the MFP database has mowing lawn under cardio; it lists mowing lawn as 406 calories per hour. it also lists raking lawn as burning 295 calories an hour. vigorous cleaning listed at 222 calories per hour, moderate cleaning at 185.

Huuuh...I didn’t know that. That’s good info.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Housework: sweeping, vaccuming, mopping
    Walking my dogs and bathing them
    Washing my car
    These are "bonus" activities. I also have "hidden" workouts in that I do them while my husband is asleep or otherwise unaware, lol.
  • frankiem1207
    frankiem1207 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wish it would list Jillian Michaels level of the 30 day shred. It has aerobics listed but this video includes weight training as well. It burns 200-300 calories depending on weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yesterday I used my bike for a business related journey instead of the car - 50mins / 555 net cals.
    I try to make using the car my last resort rather than the first option that many do.

(Talking of net cals, remember that when using METS estimates they are gross calorie estimates. Take off 1 MET for a rough net cal estimate.)

When I retired I took up a very part time job doing general handyman and gardening jobs (repairs, decorating, gardening, tree surgery etc...). Part of the reason that in retirement my calorie needs are far higher.
    Tree work and fencing probably the biggest burners, building a 12 panel fence lugging around panels, posts, concrete and digging is a real workout and exposes the difference between gym strength and functional strength.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Last year I had to put in 180 feet of six foot high wood shadow box fence. Dug the post holes by hand to 36 inches. I did a couple of sections a day for weeks and lost like ten pounds in the process!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yesterday... scrubbing walls
  • FitAsaFalafel
    FitAsaFalafel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice insights everyone! Seems the common thread is doing something for yourself rather than hiring it out helps with the calories (obvious, I know). Personally, I’m a bit rigid (is that the right word) with my routine and forget there are creative ways to save money/burn calories. (I’m an industrial mechanic, not a writer)

A while back our well pump died. I was lucky it was “only” about 200 feet deep. Friend and I tackled that one after being quoted $7k by the well company...👍.
  • johnweaver22
    johnweaver22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not really hidden as such but a friend of mine use to keep her bund in good order by squatting ATG slowly whilst brushing her teeth in the morning on one of those timed electric tooth brushes. Awsome use of time you spend every day.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Not really hidden as such but a friend of mine use to keep her bund in good order by squatting ATG slowly whilst brushing her teeth in the morning on one of those timed electric tooth brushes. Awsome use of time you spend every day.

Ha...have been doing this every time I brush my teeth too (2 minutes x 2/day)...It's so engraved in my routine, I don't even negotiate doing it
  • angelfoodcakee
    angelfoodcakee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cleaning your house when you've let it get to the state that it looks like a bomb has hit. Takes me all freaking day! Or even two! X'D
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we live on a farm. all of that is a 'hidden' workout LOLOLOL

I say that like im the one who does it. im not. my husband and son do most of the grunt work (tossing bales, fence repair, barn maintenance, mucking out barns, etc.)

I tend to the animals. Thats what I do. Though, ive gotten some workouts in there, too. You try to corral livestock into a barn by yourself when they dont want to go in and see how high your heart rate goes :D Our pyrenees are great guardians, but dont give one whit about herding, and just lay there and watch LMAO