Calorie Counter

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Less Alcohol - SEPTEMBER 2020 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• dawnbgethealthydawnbgethealthy Member Posts: 2,645 Member Member Posts: 2,645 Member
    I'm in
    I am Dawn. 59 (for less than 3 more weeks), I live in SE BC
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

September might prove challenging, since I will be having some sort of self-indulgent holiday.

Tuesday September 01 - AF - I felt like having drinks, but can't be starting a new month out that way!
    edited September 2
  • MTW70MTW70 Member Posts: 66 Member Member Posts: 66 Member
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    MTW70 wrote: »
    My husband, who is trying to lower his drinking also, really wanted a drink last night. I think he was looking for me to cave, so he could have something but I was not at all interested. I reminded him, we just drank wine the night before and he relented. I have a much easier time not drinking then he does and we have different reasons for wanting to limit our drinking. It would be easier to do this without him joining in, but it is better for us in the long run to keep each other accountable.
    I am right there with you @MTW70 !
    My husband and I also have different reasons for cutting back on alcohol. Me for the weight issue. Him because his parents were alcoholics and he is borderline. It is much easier for me to not drink if I don't start or go by a rule of M-Th no alcohol and allow myself drinks on the weekend. It is much harder for him to not drink every night and continue drinking that evening. He basically has to just cut it out completely. But if he caves it is hard for me to resist an open bottle of wine. We too are trying to support each other. It is more difficult doing it with him ... but it is much harder to do it without him. So better together!

Good luck!!!

Yes, @Lilylady3k think we are on a very similar path :)
    Doxmum wrote: »

@MTW70 - Welcome to the posse. The MT doesn't stand for Montana by any chance does it?

@Doxmum thanks for the welcome! No, not Montana, just my initials, I'm a Virginian living in New England :)
    New to this challenge for September!

Last week was AF for 4 out of 7 days, would like to improve that to 5 out of 7 days this week. All about the moderation!

Week 1 September Goals: At least 4 days/nights AF. When drinking, drink in moderation, measure drinks & make sure they fit in calories with a deficit. Try not to drink 2 days/nights in a row.

Monday 8/31: Alcohol Free. My husband, who is trying to lower his drinking also, really wanted a drink last night. I think he was looking for me to cave, so he could have something but I was not at all interested. I reminded him, we just drank wine the night before and he relented. I have a much easier time not drinking then he does and we have different reasons for wanting to limit our drinking. It would be easier to do this without him joining in, but it is better for us in the long run to keep each other accountable.

9/1: Alcohol Free and not a word out of my husband about it! I plan to be AF today as well, he is social distancing with a friend outside on the deck this evening, so will likely have a few beers. But I'm not tempted to join, helps I don't particularly like this friend (just kidding, kind of)!

9/2:
    9/3:
    9/4:
    9/5:
    9/6:

This week's successes:
    This week's challenges:
  • chocolate_owlchocolate_owl Member Posts: 1,477 Member Member Posts: 1,477 Member
    Started September off with a beer last night. I walked 4 miles (!!! yes, that's a lot for me lol) and had the calories for it, plus on a cool, rainy evening a chocolate milk stout sounded *really* good. I waffled over it forever, but I realized the Big Question I was asking myself was "Am I a bad person for having one beer?" No, of course I'm not a bad person, what a dumb frikkin question. So I cracked one open, poured it in a fancy glass, and sipped on it for 2 hours. It was excellent. Will be AF now until Sunday, when Husband and I are going to have wine and steaks for the holiday weekend. Trying to stick to the rule of drinking to enhance positive experiences instead of drinking to cope with negative ones.

@MTW70 Good to have you! Sounds like you and your husband are approaching it a bit differently, but hopefully you can work together as a team most of the time. For me, I know this is only going to work if my husband stays as bought into it as I am. Mine has a tendency to put wine I didn't ask for in front of me because he doesn't want to drink alone...

@sdlee94 Welcome! Everyone here is lovely and incredibly supportive. What kind of anxiety are you having around alcohol?
  • LoveyCharLoveyChar Member Posts: 1,146 Member Member Posts: 1,146 Member
    @Doxmum I know you're right, that it's as addictive as heroine. So far he's doing okay, other than short-tempered but it will pass...

I recently watched 'Charade' with Audrey Hepburn ever so elegantly smoking a cigarette. She could probably make anything look elegant. But oh yeah, it was the 'to do' thing then and especially in higher class circles.
  • globalhikerglobalhiker Member Posts: 468 Member Member Posts: 468 Member
    @Doxmum, hope you have a wonderful Birthday tomorrow! 65 deserves a big celebration!
  • dawnbgethealthydawnbgethealthy Member Posts: 2,645 Member Member Posts: 2,645 Member
    I'm in
    I am Dawn. 59 (for less than 3 more weeks), I live in SE BC
    My goal has remained the same, one that I feel comfortable with: 16-20AF days each month.

September might prove challenging, since I will be having some sort of self-indulgent holiday.

Tuesday September 01 - AF - I felt like having drinks, but can't be starting a new month out that way!
    Wednesday September 02 - AF

Rolling total 2AF days out of 2 days so far.
    Happy Birthday for tomorrow @Doxmum
    Milestone birthday!
  • DoxmumDoxmum Member, Premium Posts: 128 Member Member, Premium Posts: 128 Member
    Thank you very much ("Mahalo Nui Loa" - used to live in Hawaii) for all the birthday well-wishes! I've never had much of an on-line presence. But since Covid came, this group has become a peer group along with providing "Yuge" amounts of support. Cannot thank everyone enough.

I'm thinking my SEP, and possibly until the election, may be alcohol-infused (unlike the most disciplined @forestdweller1). I'm trying to keep it to one can of Dark Horse (looking at you @globalhiker) Brut. But I already went through that this evening and I'm working on a glass of Chard right now.

Then again, Less alcohol might be easier with reading Less news. Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

I, too <3<3<3 fall. Sweaters & snoods, here I come!

"Taking a knee during the national anthem was a peaceful protest, and you told us to stand up. So we did."

• mainelylisamainelylisa Member, Premium Posts: 199 Member Member, Premium Posts: 199 Member
    Happy Birthday, @Doxmum ! I understand wanting to drink through election. Just try not to let drinking affect you negatively--because that's kinda like letting him win. LOVE that quote! Who said it? What are you doing for your special day?

Totally agree, @chocolate_owl about trying to keep drinking in line with positive experiences. Def my challenge.

Goal: In addition to never feeling hungover, goal for Sep is at least 50% AF days ~ 15 days.
    Tally: 1d AF