Seeking friends

I'm looking for friends with similar workout routines and goals. I've been lifting for about 3 years and maintained my weight while lifting heavy for the first 1.5 years of that. I really loved the way I looked and felt at that time. Then I slowly started to not pay attention to my diet and I have ended up gaining about 10-12 pounds. Which is kind of a lot because I'm only 5'2". Thankfully I kept lifting so some of what I gained is muscle but I've definitely added some fat too. I keep trying to cut and end up giving up and eating terrible again. It's been a vicious cycle and I keep trying to rationalize my behavior and tell myself that I'm healthy at this weight and can just maintain here. I am healthy at this weight but I'm not happy here so I know I need to drop it. Anyway I'm looking for friends that will tell me to suck it up and stick to my plan so I can reach my goals. I'm currently following a body part split routine that is 4 days a week. This is my first time doing a routine like this. In the past I've done full body routines and upper/lower splits but I wanted to try something new. I have a stationary bike that I'm doing for 10 minutes after my lifting sessions and for 30 minutes twice a week. I also walk daily and hike a few times a month when the weather permits. So add me if you would like to. Thanks!

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    My type of thread. No sugar coating Haha.

So you're doing a leg day, back day, chest, and arms day?

I'll be honest. Those are not the best programs for naturals. Not enough weekly stimulus. You will see progress for a bit but your upper lower programs would be better (depending on your actual goals in regards to muscle growth/maintenance)
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »

I'll be honest. Those are not the best programs for naturals. Not enough weekly stimulus. You will see progress for a bit but your upper lower programs would be better (depending on your actual goals in regards to muscle growth/maintenance)

I'm just trying this program out mostly to help with boredom and compliance. I'm only going to run it for 8 weeks total and then I'll probably go back to upper/lower. It is a leg day, chest and triceps, back and biceps, and shoulders.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »

While I agree that a "bro split" isn't, in general, ideal for lifters who aren't on gear I have found it pretty useful for giving myself more recovery time. Doing chest once a week and back once a week and then an accessory day has definitely given me a better recovery profile. And I've been lifting a couple of years now but I've still made progress on that split. That said, I'm basically an old guy so I need to give more attention to recovery than someone who is 20 years younger, for example. I also need to bake recovery into my program because I'm absolutely pathetic at "listening to my body."
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    My workout is kinda similar: I do a push, pull, leg routine. I also bike most days and do a short run 1-2 times a week.
  • MeganMow
    MeganMow Posts: 3 Member
    I could use some friends too😊 I have been working on getting into the chest/tris back/bis and legs routine along with some cardio and HIIT sprinkled in. Heavy lifter here!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    The thing is we're being told time and time again that having a lower body fat percentage is the ultimate in health but really a good strong heart and muscle strength wins the argument for me. If you feel comfortable in both body and mind with your BF percentage why fight against what your body deems 'normal'?

Your bro split, especially as a female, just isn't enough stimulus if you want hypertrophy. I lift 4 days per week 2 upper/2 lower incorporating chest, back, shoulders and arms to hit every body part twice which is the minimum. You don't need to eat more to gain muscle mass, eating at maintenance is absolutely ok...in fact you can be in a slight deficit and grow but it takes years.

If you want to lose body fat without strength training then maybe look into running, yoga , HIIT and bodyweight to mix it up without even stepping foot inside a gym. You have your bike as you say.

It all comes down to reachable goals, an iron will and consistency. Make a plan and stick to it religiously for 6 weeks, no excuses and see what happens.