Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How not to lose muscle on OMAD

texastechguy210texastechguy210 Member Posts: 70 Member Member Posts: 70 Member
I'm on my 7th day of OMAD, I lo e it, but I fee like I'm losing muscle.
I eat dinner at 5pm and eat around 1500 to 1800 calories in my meal. I workout in the mornings for an hour. Drink coffe and stevia in the morning and un sweet tea with stevia in mid afternoon. Anyone have any suggestions or have gone through a similar situation?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kjratliff55kjratliff55 Member, Premium Posts: 11 Member Member, Premium Posts: 11 Member
    Sounds like you are doing fine. It' takes longer than that to lose muscle, losing energy however is another matter.
    It will take your system a while to adjust to your current meal schedule. With that said now we get to the hard part....
    keeping you Calorie count in your current range make sure you getting a minimum of .7 grams of protein per pound of body weight. If you are working out to gain more muscle (difficult but not impossible when trying to lose weight) add more protein to a max of 2 grams per pound of body weight. Most important for both weight lose and Muscle gain is consistency try not fluctuate much in daily Calorie and Protein intake and don't miss a workout.

• texastechguy210texastechguy210 Member Posts: 70 Member Member Posts: 70 Member
    Great info! Thanks!
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Member, Premium Posts: 8,322 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,322 Member
    1500 calories is the minimum for a sedentary male. 1800 may or may not be enough depending on your workouts.

OMAD is something I did when I was less active. I did it for more than a year without any problems. Now that I am doing the morning workouts though trying to eat one meal a day makes me sick and fatigued.

• steveko89steveko89 Member Posts: 1,711 Member Member Posts: 1,711 Member
    I recently saw another user post a study that suggested a loss rate of 0.7% or less per week was requisite to retain lean mass. As Novus suggested, 1800 probably isn't enough to clear that threshold; it isn't based on my TDEE and I'm 173 lbs. Granted, in 7 days if you've seen the scale drop and feel smaller it's due more to glycogen depletion, dropping calories (and likely carbs), and the adjustment to eating schedule such that there are changes to timing of food in your system.

study link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15615615/
  • tsazanitsazani Member Posts: 648 Member Member Posts: 648 Member
    I'm a 63 year old male with a 15 yr history of type 2 diabetes. I have it in complete remission using a ketogenic OMAD diet.

I'm at my ideal weight. I don't want to go lower. My goal is to lower my BF% AND maintain my weight.

I do 160 min of exercise per week. A 1400 cal burn. Otherwise I'm pretty sedentary with this Covid19 lockdown.

The MFP calorie TDEE calculator is off for me by about 350 daily calories.