What’s your plan for the winter?

Options

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You all make me feel like a wimp! I'm in Southern AZ, have been working out at home outside since March, and am dreading coming winter. I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable returning to the gym by then, but dont want to invest in more home equipment until I know if I'm going to be able to brave the winter morning workouts.
    Having grown up in Phx, this made me laugh :p I would be the other way, hunkered down in summer waiting for winter weather to get outdoors!

I love the wide variety our country offers (US) in terms of wether! It makes for fun conversations :) went to a national training event held in CO Springs in April a coupl years ago. The weather had drastically changed from the original forecast and we were loading up the vans at the airport in flurries. I was lucky enough to be with the group from Los Angeles - one girl had never even seen snow in person :lol: she spent the week cold because she didn’t bring enough clothes for the weather (dresses and leggings, no over layers at all... IIRC she didn’t even own a jacket).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do in the summer. Run. In the winter I'll no doubt run further and faster since summer heat and humidity is horrible for endurance. About the only thing I dislike is wind but with proper clothing it can be managed as well.

Find something you love to do and it won't matter the conditions. If you have to force it when it's 'nice', you won't do it at all when the weather changes.

Good luck.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll plan to do about the same thing I"ve been doing for around 15 years now: Wind down on-water rowing season, slightly in denial as bad weather limits safe rowing as many days a week as I'd like, leading to reduced total exercise load; then commit myself to do the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, which will make me want to throw the (bleep) machine through the window into a snowbank on Christmas Eve. Nonetheless, I'll grumpily keep going with less frequent rowing machine workouts until I Can't Even. Hopefully, by then, it will be getting close to on-water season again, which will save me from ennui and inactivity, to play another seasonal round.

Usually, I'd be going to spin class twice a week, too, but I'm not likely going back anytime soon. As a wrinkly, of age 64, I'm more than averagely Covid-vulnerable. That chick on the bike next to me, who I'm pretty sure gave me the cold I got in February or so that turned into a cough for weeks, will amost certainly go back, but this time she'll probably be spreading Covid. Don't need it, don't want it.

Also, I'll strength train at home . . . if I have to. I don't like strength training, even though it's Good For Me. 🙄🤷‍♀️

I totally needed that LOL you gave me this AM with the Concept 2 comments.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing to exercise outside during the winter, and I live in Vermont. I don't know if trail running is a thing in the winter (my new favorite "sport") but im definitely looking forward to snow shooing the trails this winter, and if I can't run any of them then I will just run the roads.

I've never been serious enough to consider buying them (I have recreational paths & a wooded area close to home) but there are snowshoes designed specifically for running on groomed trails.
  • northdakota84
    northdakota84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My problem in the winter isn't the temperature, it's the shortened daylight hours. I leave for work before the sun is up and by the time i get home at the end of the day it will be already be dusk or very close to it. That leaves only weekends for outdoor workouts. How do other people exercise outdoors when it's dark?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My problem in the winter isn't the temperature, it's the shortened daylight hours. I leave for work before the sun is up and by the time i get home at the end of the day it will be already be dusk or very close to it. That leaves only weekends for outdoor workouts. How do other people exercise outdoors when it's dark?

Wearing hi-viz clothing, extra reflective details and a headlamp.

This year since I’ll be working from home I’ll try for mid-day workouts a couple of times during the workweek. It means I’ll have to limit myself to shorter runs (unless my speed drastically improves) but I’m OK with that.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I exercise outdoors year-round. Hot, cold, rain, snow. Doesn't matter to me. I just dress accordingly. About the only weather I won't go out in is when there's lightning in the area.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I live in So AZ as well. I have my rower out on the deck and just got a Weider Total Gym knockoff ($150 on sale at Wally World). I'll likely put that out on the deck as well and workout outside. When it gets "cold" here in AZ (it can get down close to 30 for lows), I put on my old Ohio Winter runner gear and workout in the sunshine. The rower has wheels and I just wheel it out in the middle of my sidewalk, which runs through the gravel.

I'm going biking a lot more. Just bought two bikes as well for the wife and I late last Spring. Didn't get to enjoy those long before we had the wildfires here in early June. Once the smoke cleared out, we had record heat in July, August and have had a hot September until this week. It was 62 this AM and felt glorious!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Wearing hi-viz clothing, extra reflective details and a headlamp.

This year since I’ll be working from home I’ll try for mid-day workouts a couple of times during the workweek. It means I’ll have to limit myself to shorter runs (unless my speed drastically improves) but I’m OK with that.
    I run in the dark often in winter months, and even year round (had a couple late night runs this summer). I have a chest light that also has a red triangle light on the back. I like it better than a head lamp because I can look around without the light going every which way (I feel bad if I hear a noise, glance over, only to scare or blind someone who is taking their dog out... has happened multiple times :lol: ). I have reflector straps for around my ankles, and bright clothing for the rest of my body (my main wardrobe is very bland - lots of black, gray, a little coral thrown in for good measure - but my running clothes are pink, orange, and chartreuse!). Most of my hats have reflective strips on them.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Starting at the end of the month I'll be switching to shift work until December, alternating days and nights every two weeks. Due to that I'll be continuing doing Beach Body lifting programs at home, because I haven't enjoyed wearing a mask at the gym and I know myself - if I try and go to the gym after working for 12 hours, I'll definitely find ways to talk myself out of it.

I also really want to start doing more outside activities this fall/winter, particularly getting a bike and doing some trails, or hiking more in my area!
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @northdakota84 I completely forgot about time change. Yeah, I think I’m going to do some exercise videos until the weather warms back up.

Some of ya’ll are in very cold areas and here I am down south lol! I just have to do what it takes to keep my momentum. Good luck to all!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts. I'll quote myself from a similar thread from last month:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808194/winter-months
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For the last 5 years or so, all winter long I've bundled up and walked in the woods every day during the week at lunch time, unless it was raining, in which case I would do yoga or strength train inside, or snowing, when I would shovel or go snow shoeing.

I am far more likely to feel trapped indoors by summer heat than winter cold.

There's no such thing as "too cold" - just insufficient gear ;)

Just checked the weather - it's going to be in the 60s tomorrow, finally cool enough to start hiking again!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for the outdoor skating rinks to open so I can get out to skate. Hopefully curling will workout in this new pandemic world.

I love winter
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For those that bike through the winter, what gear do you use? I am thinking ski goggles would be a nice addition - my eyes water so easily in the cold! Gloves, windproof jacket? I have the hardest time with layers, I like the pictographs for runners that show what you should wear for temp ranges, I refer to them often in anything but the warmest weather conditions.

I wear cycling tights that have a fleece lining...depending on how cold I wear a fleece undershirt with a long sleeve jersey and a wind breaker. I have long finger cycling gloves and if need be I have a scull cap that goes under my helmet...a full balaclava if necessary...usually only in January.

I don't do anything with my glasses...I wear my cycling glasses which are like a windshield on a car in any condition.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What are your plans?[/quote]

Cardio outside (same as now, with the road bike often being swapped out for the hybrid or fat bike. Along with the same running and trail running and occasionally snow shoeing).

& weight training inside at the gym (same as summer, at least when the gyms aren't closed down for COVID).

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For those that bike through the winter, what gear do you use? I am thinking ski goggles would be a nice addition - my eyes water so easily in the cold! Gloves, windproof jacket? I have the hardest time with layers, I like the pictographs for runners that show what you should wear for temp ranges, I refer to them often in anything but the warmest weather conditions.

Main things that I (and almost everyone) will recommend first : pogies (aka bar mitts) and shoe covers (or invest in insulated riding shoes /boots). (these are typically the spots that feel the cold the most).

Layers. (I wear a baselayer top, then light windbreaker, then better wind breaker (DriClimb windshirt), and wearing or carrying in backpack a 'puffy' (down jacket) if might be needed).

I wear my usual photochromic impact - tested glasses. (not safety style... As the side Shields or extra snug wrapping on those tend to result in fogging up at stops).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I look forward to cooler weather and run through the winter unless there is rain or ice. I'm happy when temps dip below 70!!! It will be so nice when our highs are no longer close to triple digits.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My plan for the winter is to run intervals on the treadmill and work on improving/increasing my speed. I live in a climate with harsh winters and I have a baby so it's better and safer for me to workout at home. My goal is to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less, comfortably by spring.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's largely mild here. I won't go out in heavy rain, but I'll still walk when it's cool, or just misting, and if it actually snows, provided it doesn't disappear in a day, I can do my thing when the paths have been cleared. As a rule snow doesn't stick here long. The rain makes quick work of it.