PCOS & weightloss

Hello everyone! I was wondering if any of you were struggling with PCOS as well. I have been trying to lose weight and have been counting calories and intermittent fasting 11-7 and the scale still doesn’t move I also go on runs which I enjoy but the scale doesn’t move down it only goes up lately. I was wondering if you all had any tips for me or what helped you with losing weight and having PCOS? Thanks!

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Do you weigh your foods on a food scale? How much weight are you trying to lose? How much of a deficit do you have mfp set to?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I have pcos, and I'm steadily losing about a 1 lb a week. Which is good steady weight loss for me. My tips are really consider a food scale. ( If not already using one.)

How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • cinthyaaa_02
    cinthyaaa_02 Posts: 8 Member
    I do not weight my foods on a scale, I do smaller portions and I am currently 181 trying to get to 165 ish. I have been trying to lose weight since about June I was 192 but the scale has been the same for the last month
  • cinthyaaa_02
    on mfp I have to lose 2 lbs per week
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    well, if you don't weigh your food, you don't actually know how much you're eating; many people here who say they're not losing and don't weigh their food turn out to be eating more than they think. i know i'm usually wrong when i try to eyeball a portion of tofu or soup.
  • Dogmom1978
    If we could eyeball foods and know how many calories we were eating, we wouldn’t be here trying to lose weight. Without a scale, you have no idea how many calories you are eating a day.

You won’t lose weight this way (and clearly haven’t been). They aren’t expensive and they are game changers.
  • Dogmom1978
    on mfp I have to lose 2 lbs per week

Also, once you start weighing and see how much you’re eating, 2 lbs a week probably won’t be sustainable. Don’t make weight loss harder than it needs to be. Unless you have at least 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive of a goal
  • cinthyaaa_02
    I will deff invest in one! do you think I should still stay in a calorie deficit? also do you all still workout if so what kinds of workouts do you do?
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    I have PCOS (bad enough to require fertility meds to get pregnant). I’ve been losing weight 1.5-2 pounds a week between diet and exercise.

You really need to weigh your food because what most of us thinks is a serving and the actual measurement of a serving are two VERY different things.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight. All diets that work? They work because they change eating habits in a way that creates a calorie deficit.

You burn calories all day long - how much depends on your gender, age, height, weight and also the movement you do. When you do the guided setup, MFP uses these calculations to estimate how much energy you use in a day BEFORE exercise. Then you say you want to lose weight, and MFP deducts 500 calories per pound of weight loss and gives you a goal.

If you put in 2 pounds per week (because we want to lose the most possible, right?) you probably were given a goal of 1200 daily. MFP won't go below this. It does not mean that 1200 is realistic for you however. Example: if MFP estimates that you'll use 1900 daily before exercise, and subtracts 1000 (for 2 pounds per week) you then get 1200 because 1900 - 1000 is too little.

Try putting in .5 or 1 pounds per week, and YES to the food scale. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. Its the only way to accurately log your intake.
  • Dogmom1978
    CICO is all that matters. Everyone achieves that in a different manner. However, if you don’t actually know how many calories are going IN you can’t know if MORE calories are going out.

Once you get a food scale, measure your foods and choose the correct entries from the data base. Personally, without exercise I almost ALWAYS go over on my calories, so the exercise is critical to losing weight. It will take some trial and error for you to determine how many exercise calories you personally need to eat back.