Midweek Training hike - Mt Baden Powell

Options
I have been curious about this hike after hearing about it for the past few weeks. Located in the Angeles National Forest, the mountain is named after the founder of Scouting - Lord Baden Powell. The mountain is part of (and highest point of)the 53 mile Silver Moccasin Trail that scouts could complete and earn a badge.
Total miles 8.03 round trip
Highest elevation 9406ft
Elevation gain 2900ft
Time: 2 hours up/1.5 down

The trail is mostly up through 40 long switchbacks through a pine forest full of chipmunks, squirrels, birds etc. i went early to avoid too many people and didn’t see many on the way up. I think this hike embodies for me why I love getting outside - the beauty and solitude of nature. I made a short video of the forest /sounds but I don’t think I can attach it. The last mile is above tree line where you reach a famous tree that is 1500 years old. Unfortunately the sign about the tree was missing. It’s a short climb to the summit after that where there is a monument to Lord Baden Powell and a flag with a summit sign. Normally you would have great views but air quality due to fires is still obscuring a lot of views.
It took me 1.5 hour drive each way to get to the trailhead but it was worth it. Going to Paso Robles for 5 days before I come back to hike Mt Wilson.
3m56589xcbba.jpeg
mncdv5sq1qqt.jpeg
usuj6qyuojbz.jpeg
bhcas344wenc.jpeg
xccoxvlobj77.jpeg
n1k7ihxiyd4q.jpeg
ygtvpul8wz7y.jpeg
prrwsirzq54t.jpeg
tbry4dpq1u5a.jpeg
cjjmwdntorbu.jpeg
nsqazqpefndb.jpeg
p8at7sy2qaf3.jpeg
vx7dh7nhkstj.jpeg

Replies

• Sprinlyn
    Sprinlyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice trail 👍 I’ll be hiking to an alpine lake tomorrow. I’ll update sometime after I’m finished
  • Sprinlyn
    Options
    w4ughbjn7lbq.jpeg
    560a276c2g8a.jpeg
    2x9cu8acit14.jpeg
    i11vrk2hnxhc.jpeg
    zfzr6dxl7vt1.jpeg
  • Sprinlyn
    Options
    Didn’t get to see the lake. Too much fog. I have to check it out again on a clear day. Happy hiking! 🥾
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sprinlyn wrote: »
    Didn’t get to see the lake. Too much fog. I have to check it out again on a clear day. Happy hiking! 🥾

Still looks beautiful!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I :heart: posts with pics like these - thanks for sharing!