Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What does it actually take to gain 1 pound of fat?

I’ve been on google for quite some time trying to figure this out and so far I’ve seen three different perspectives on this particular topic: 1.) eating anything above your TDEE 2.) Eating 3500 calories and 3.) Eating 3500 calories on top of your BMR / TDEE.

Would anyone be willing to confirm or deny either of these?

Replies

• To put this into perspective I eat 3500 a day to maintain my weight. So we can throw out option two. And options one and three are bascially the same just scaled differently. If you eat more than you burn in a day over a certain time period you should eventually gain one pound of fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Just as when you lose, you lose at least a little muscle along with the fat, when you gain you’re gaining both muscle and fat. So you gain approx 1 lb of “weight” for every 3500 cal over TDEE but you can’t really say how much of that is “fat,” which is your question.