Flexible Diet Goals

Options
This is probably a stupid question, but is it okay for me to be flexible with my dieting goals? For example, I am trying to only eat calories to lose 1lb a week. However, some days I go a little over, but I’m still under what my maintenance calorie goal would be.

The other day, I also skipped dinner because I wasn’t feeling hungry. Cooked it, took a few bites and just wasn’t hungry. So I was really under my calories for the day that day.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to maintain flexibility while being consistent at the same time. You can change everything UP and as long as you're eating at maintenance or just a tad under you'll be fine. You won't mess up any of your dieting goals Edging your way down slowly is a good way to go. You'll have a much better change of actually getting there and staying there for the rest of your life.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it's really up to you - there's no rule about that. if you're losing weight at a rate that works for you, that's what matters.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss might be a little slower depending on how many “over” days you have, but the goal is to lose weight in a way that you can maintain the loss long term, and for most of us, that requires being flexible. Celebrations, business meals, travel, etc. can throw us off so we just need to not go crazy and get back to it as soon as work can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Sure, that should work fine. Since around last October, I've been shooting to lose ultra slowly (it's re-losing a few vanity pounds in maintenance, so no urgency). Some days I hit my deficit goal, some days a small bit under if not hungry, some days I even eat over maintenance, but I'm averaging just that tiny little bit under maintenance most of the time. I'm down around 10 pounds since last October, pretty painlessly. I'm not saying you need to lose as slowly as I am (roughly a pound a month), but it's perfect for me. I'm just sharing my experience to reassure you that you can vary things, and as long as you average something under your true maintenance calories (which may be a little different from some calculator's estimate of your maintenance calories!), you'll lose weight.
  • DupreeTheTRex
    DupreeTheTRex Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight slowly. I’ve been able to lose 50lbs in 2 months on multiple occasions but I realize now that’s not sustainable. I always bounce back because I get tired of the lifestyle. Today I wanted to eat out and have a little treat. So I did, but I also kept my calories at a deficit (just not within the 1 pound goal).

I’ve also made some huge changes in my life over the last few years. I quit drinking alcohol over two years ago and I’ve cut out energy drinks for an entire month (averaged 3-4 daily)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I lost my excess weight eating at maintenance 5 days a week and just 2 days in a deficit.
    As long as you are in a deficit over an extended period of time you will lose.

I do think it's a good idea for sustainability to fit your diet into your lifetstyle rather than allow your diet to dominate your lifestyle. Using a weekly calorie goal gives more flexibility and feels far less restrictive and that's an important factor for me.

There's days when my hunger is higher than that day's needs and there's days when my expenditure is higher than my hunger - it evens out over time.