Starting Over Again

Options
I have a question for anyone who have lost weight and have kept it off within the usual 5 lb up n down but manage to stay within target goal. Carbs vs Calories? I am struggling with getting in all of my calories in order to avoid higher Carbs. Would it matter in terms of fat loss if I go over my Carbs in order to eat more and meet my Calorie goals and not be so hungry as I am now. I am always eating under calories in order not to eat so many Carbs. Some people seem to think that “Lower Carbs” is the answer to losing weight, but I know its CICO yet I fall for the lower carbs crowd. My weight has been not so good lately and I need to turn this thing around soon. Any sound scientific information would really help. Thanks in advance

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Well, you seem to already know the answer. Calories determine whether you maintain, lose or gain; carbs are irrelevant to weight loss, except insofar as cutting them might prod someone toward eating less or eating lower calorie foods (but not always - it's easy to gain weight eating fatty stuff). Carbs just do not matter for weight loss, aside from the fact that carbs cause water retention, so when you first go low-carb some extra water drains off and it looks like accelerated weight loss; likewise, when returning to a normal-carb diet from low-carb, there's some sudden water retention and it looks like weight gain. That's how people get sucked into the Cargo Cult religion of low carbism. 500 cals of pizza, 500 cals of steak, and 500 cals of butter will have exactly the same impact on your weight, although one might leave you hungrier than another. That's the science.

If you are hungry and not eating enough, the answer is pretty obvious: eat more food. If you are habitually undereating to avoid carbs, then you're doin' it wrong. But I want to point out you also say your weight hasn't been doing great lately so ... you're not undereating, then?

Clearly what's needed here is a trip to the MFP Goals tool above. Enter your weight, height, age, gender, etc. Tell it how much weight you want to lose per week. Whatever number it spits out, eat that, no more than that, and no less either, and completely ignore the carb thing. If you are diligent about it and weigh your food, you will lose MFP's suggested amount of weight, +/- 10 %. It works for virtually everyone regardless of their macros (because macros don't matter for weight loss), so just do it and you'll be good to go.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding higher carbs?

My weight loss journey started in earnest as a result of getting a Diabetes T2 diagnosis. I therefore watch my carbs but, for anyone else, they're not evil and do not need to be avoided. As you know, it's purely CICO for weight loss / management. I reached my goal in March, just before lockdown started. I then suddenly lost a further 2kg but have remained around the same weight, fluctuating 1kg (2lb), since then. To stop myself losing any more weight, I now aim to eat up to 100 cals more than MFP sets me to maintain.

I do look at my macros. Carbs is my number one thing. I don't usually have to do anything specific to reach my protein goal as I have some with every meal, but I do check to make sure I've had enough as that's what helps keep me feeling fuller for longer. If I need to eat more calories, I usually have some cheese or nuts as they are fairly high calories but don't touch my carbs figure; it's also easy to count out x nuts to eat or cut a small slice of cheese in order to hit my goal.

Basically, eat whatever makes you feel fuller for longer, within your calorie goal. Macros help to ensure you're getting a balanced diet. If you're trying to avoid carbs for a specific reason, eat more protein or fat. Strips of chicken or beef jerky or cheese or even just eating a can of sardines will all boost your calorie figure without adding to your carb count.
  • Heart_Fit
    Heart_Fit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Well, you seem to already know the answer. Calories determine whether you maintain, lose or gain; carbs are irrelevant to weight loss, except insofar as cutting them might prod someone toward eating less or eating lower calorie foods (but not always - it's easy to gain weight eating fatty stuff). Carbs just do not matter for weight loss, aside from the fact that carbs cause water retention, so when you first go low-carb some extra water drains off and it looks like accelerated weight loss; likewise, when returning to a normal-carb diet from low-carb, there's some sudden water retention and it looks like weight gain. That's how people get sucked into the Cargo Cult religion of low carbism. 500 cals of pizza, 500 cals of steak, and 500 cals of butter will have exactly the same impact on your weight, although one might leave you hungrier than another. That's the science.

If you are hungry and not eating enough, the answer is pretty obvious: eat more food. If you are habitually undereating to avoid carbs, then you're doin' it wrong. But I want to point out you also say your weight hasn't been doing great lately so ... you're not undereating, then?

Clearly what's needed here is a trip to the MFP Goals tool above. Enter your weight, height, age, gender, etc. Tell it how much weight you want to lose per week. Whatever number it spits out, eat that, no more than that, and no less either, and completely ignore the carb thing. If you are diligent about it and weigh your food, you will lose MFP's suggested amount of weight, +/- 10 %. It works for virtually everyone regardless of their macros (because macros don't matter for weight loss), so just do it and you'll be good to go.
    Thank you for this great advice and while I do know that calorie count is the answer, hearing the way that you put it without a doubt reassures me what I know need to do. Straight to the point. Thanks