Excersise and fatburning question

Options
4ever420
4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
So I save a few calories everyday for a little sugary treat. I noticed that if I have said sugary treat before I go running that it really helps give me a little boost and my exercise doesn't feel as hard. My question is, if I have my popsicle or whatever before I workout, does that mean I'm just burning off that sugar from the food instead of my body going into its fat reserves for fuel? Will this hinder the fat burning efficiency of my workout? Hope that made sense...

Sherri

Replies

• 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • milesbrockovich
    Options
    It depends on how many calories your treat is and how many calories you're burning during your run. If you burn more calories during the run than the treat gives you, then your body has to get those extra calories to burn from somewhere else (e.g. fat stores). I shouldn't think it matters when you eat. Unused sugar just turns into fat anyway.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat it before or after your workout will have absolutely zero affect on how much fat you lose. It may however affect your energy levels as you said. If it helps you have more energy if you eat it before, then do that, it will not make a difference in terms of body composition.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, your popsicle will have no impact on your weight loss. If it helps with your run, by all means. Eat and enjoy.